LegacyGT.com

First Mod Disaster - long

gmorris

Well I really did it tonight. I got home and my Metra adapters were here so after doing some other stuff I decided to strat tearing the interior apart against my better judgement. I knew I was too tired and shouldn't even start but I had to. I was sitting in the passenger seat working on pulling the e-brake cover off with the passenger door open. I momentarily took the brake off for some reason and the car rolled back on me. The open door caught the edge of the wood shelving I built along the garage wall and dug in. The car rolling back pulled the door open beyong it's limit. There's a small dent in the back edge of the door where it hit the shelf and another small dent on the front edge where it must have hit the front quarter panel. The window was popped out and I had to pull the door apart to get it back into the track properly.

The biggest problem is that it must have bent the hinges a bit because the door does not close qite right and it opens further than it should. The prospects of getting it fixed properly terrify me because I have never had a door re-alignment that was as good as the original and I really hate wind noise:mad:

Does anyone have any experience with dealership body shops? I have always felt that most things are better going to an independent shop but being a new car????

The worst part is that I have nothing to blaim but my own stupidity...now I feel like I have done major damage to an otherwise pristine car - what a crappy feeling. I have never screwed a mod up like this before in 10 years of working on vehicles.

No relation, but my mom backed out of our garage one time with the door open in a rental we had. f'ed it all up and the door wouldn't close, had to return it with a strap holding the door closed :lol:

sorry to hear man, a body shop should be able to realign it, maybe with new hinges, and possibly a dent wizzard type of shop could fix the rest?

Man I feel for you. I put in a strut brace in my MX5 Miata and broke the studs in my shock tower. So a 10 minute job cost me $150 and 3 hours and a wheel alignment.

But yours sounds worse - go to a panel shop and ask for advice. Surely your insurance will cover it..?

Bad news: you probably bent the sheetmetal that the hinge bolts onto rather than the hinge.

Good news: Qualified body shops have had to do this type of repair for years. It should be able to be straightened out to factory specifications so the repair is undetectable.

Expect to shell out some bucks though. If the door skin needs to be fixed as well, I'd say you're looking at $800-$1500.

:(

Yep, need new hinges and the pillar needs to be pulled out slightly. The dent at the back of the door can't be fixed paintlessly due to the location. It is not very noticeable unless the sun is shining on it just rigth so I think I'll leave it. I really don't want to paint the pass front and rear doors and the front fender just to fix one dent...I really hate mixing up paints on one car. I'll save the $800 for paint and do the whole car a couple years from now. The hinges and metal work will cost $450 alone...stupidity can be pricy:(

Archived