LegacyGT.com

2010 Legacy w/HK Speaker system upgrades?

Darksabre

Hey, so those of you with the Harman Kardon system in their 2010+ legacies, what have you done or suggest to improve the audio quality?

It sounds very muddy/distant while driving (too much mid?) - vocals are hard to hear. I have to turn the volume up to about 23 before I can really hear much while driving on the highway.

I have the Navigation system as well, so I saw it has a somewhat extensive electronic EQ setup screen. I'm horrible at setting those up - any suggestions/values there? I listen to pretty much anything except rap and country.

I also noticed that the bass is pretty non-existent compared to what I'm used to listening to (just a simple Klipsch desktop system with sub set to the recommended level). I have a JL 10W7 that I'm planning on eventually installing to hopefully remedy that part.

I have no idea where the stock HK speakers sit compared to other options out there. I'm hoping I don't need to replace them, but if it makes a big difference, I would.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks,

Aaron

• 4 weeks later...

I have not heard the HK system, but I made some spacers for a '10/HK owner who went with Focal comps up front and components in the rear. He was very pleased with the Focals.

My personal setup is a set of Rainbow CSX 265 comps up front and Polk dB651 coaxials in the rear. I started with them all off of the HU and was pleased with the efficency off of just the HU, though the Rainbows are currently running off of an amp.

You really need to try to hit a shop and listen to different brands. People swear by different brands all based on personal preferences.

Thanks for all the feedback. I have gone to a few stores to listen to speakers, but it didn't help me out too much. They all sounded very crisp, clear, and loud while in-store. I remember I picked up a set of JL speakers that sounded great in the store, but when I installed them in my 05 STi, it sounded horrid, and you had to turn the volume up pretty high just to hear anything. Totally different soundstages and definitely different power setups from what they do at the store.

I started out with the factory head unit, then went to all Kenwood DNX9980HD radios. Too many bells and whistles so I went back to stock. Changed that went with a JBL MS8 and fell in love. Did wonders as far as changing the sound of the OEM system. Because I always have to play with things, now I have a Pioneer DVD receiver installed. This runs to my JBL which in turn is connected to my two JL Audio HD amps. They are the 750/1 & 600/4. My front stage is Focal, no rear fill and my subwoofer is also Focal. I am running active, meaning I use a processor to regulate my sound. Currently I am having a 5 channel amp custom made to replace my two current amps. Why, I love what the JLs do for my system, but I only want one amp and it will be in a custom enclosure. Also my replacement sub should be built and delivered to me by April. Any other question, please feel free to pm me.
2010 2.5GT limited is for sale. :)

Thanks for all the feedback. I have gone to a few stores to listen to speakers, but it didn't help me out too much. They all sounded very crisp, clear, and loud while in-store. I remember I picked up a set of JL speakers that sounded great in the store, but when I installed them in my 05 STi, it sounded horrid, and you had to turn the volume up pretty high just to hear anything. Totally different soundstages and definitely different power setups from what they do at the store.

This is a common practice at stores, both small fry and big box. They will have all of the coaxials/components running off of an amp, and they will have a subwoofer running no matter what front stage you select.

When you go to listen, have the store workers turn off any amps and subwoofers and ask that the speakers be run directly off of a headunit in the board.

They are still "cheating" at some stores by putting each coaxial or mid in a quasi-enclosure, but not all places do this.

They are in he business of selling speakers, so it is in their best interest to have them sound good. It is in your best interest to isolate what you are listenig to to get the best comparison possible.

This is a common practice at stores, both small fry and big box. They will have all of the coaxials/components running off of an amp, and they will have a subwoofer running no matter what front stage you select.

When you go to listen, have the store workers turn off any amps and subwoofers and ask that the speakers be run directly off of a headunit in the board.

They are still "cheating" at some stores by putting each coaxial or mid in a quasi-enclosure, but not all places do this.

They are in he business of selling speakers, so it is in their best interest to have them sound good. It is in your best interest to isolate what you are listenig to to get the best comparison possible.

Good call. I never thought of asking them to do that. Heh...tbh, I didn't know they would/could do that with their setups.

I started out with the factory head unit, then went to all Kenwood DNX9980HD radios. Too many bells and whistles so I went back to stock. Changed that went with a JBL MS8 and fell in love. Did wonders as far as changing the sound of the OEM system. Because I always have to play with things, now I have a Pioneer DVD receiver installed. This runs to my JBL which in turn is connected to my two JL Audio HD amps. They are the 750/1 & 600/4. My front stage is Focal, no rear fill and my subwoofer is also Focal. I am running active, meaning I use a processor to regulate my sound. Currently I am having a 5 channel amp custom made to replace my two current amps. Why, I love what the JLs do for my system, but I only want one amp and it will be in a custom enclosure. Also my replacement sub should be built and delivered to me by April. Any other question, please feel free to pm me.

That's great info, thanks! I remember running across the MS8 back when I had my STi. It seemed like an awesome product, but never went anywhere with it. With my Legacy, I will start looking into it again.

Since you're basically not using rear speakers, why the 4-channel 600w amp? Are they bridged to two channel? :confused:

When you say active, are you referring to the MS8?

The 600X4 is powering my front stage. Yes as far as active, I don't have nor use the crossovers that came with my speakers. This gives me more control as far as how and where I want my sound to eminate from. Also you don't have to do a MS8, you can do the Alpine Imprint for less then $150.00 or the Zuki Audio processor for $199+shipping. :)
2010 2.5GT limited is for sale. :)

Archived