LegacyGT.com

H4DOHC Cam Sprocket Removal

I'm removing the heads on my '06 Legacy GT so I can check the valves. Part of the process is to remove the cam sprockets. I built a tool that keeps the cams from turning so I can control the torque on the bolts that hold the sprocket. The tool attaches to the cam sprocket via the 3 bolts that hold the bolt cover, then also attaches to the engine block. So the sprocket is held solid and I have access to the sprocket bolt. Problem is, the sprocket bolt is really tight. I'm pulling about 80 ft-lb counter-clockwise and it's not budging. The spec when installing the sprockets is 22 ft-lb, then add another 45 degrees. I can't believe that 45 degrees on top of 22 ft-lb can be this hard to loosen. Anyone had any experience here?

mine were stupid tight ! i had to heat mine i dammaged all of them trying to remove them i ended up ordering new ones , but the dummie at the dealer got me 4 of the intake ones with the hole through them instead of two of each.

and i cracked a sproket ! i think there was lock tite on them. i figure there was about 200 lbs tq on them to crack them loose.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Archived