LegacyGT.com

A lexus dealer is twisting my arm...

Okay, I was out car shopping for a friend this past weekend and we ended up at a dealership. While my friend was looking at the new Lexus RX330 or whatever it was. I happened to come across a used white 2006 Lexus Is350 with 58,000 miles. The dealer noticed that I am curious about it and made advances towards me.

Initially, I was asking for the Carfax and looking at the quality of the car. Then the dealer told me that they are asking $22,800 for it and they are willing to throw in a 100k warranty on it. I was perhaps flirting with the idea a bit more and decided to ask for a trade-in appraisal. Surprisingly, the dealer gave me a $17,000-$18,000 range for my car. That is the highest I have ever seen a dealer offered me. After doing some simple math, I am looking at paying around $4,000 out the door for the IS350.

Honestly, I do not know what to do. I have unleashed a paradox box here. I am sick of the slow shifting 5EAT of my 3.0R but I love the subtle looks of it and the AWD. I did some reading and I know the IS350 has a 6AT and that should help it shift a lot better. The dealer called me back several times asking me about it but I am still unsure. I have yet to test drive the IS350 but I am afraid that if I test drive it, I will never see my legacy again.

Save me. :(:spin:

It is only costing you $4000 out of pocket but it is still $22,800. Is your current car paid for? People always look at a trade in allowance as a gift from the dealer instead of what it really is, future profit for the dealer. If your current car is paid for, it cost's you nothing, other than maintenance, which you would have to pay on any car. Best advice is to never test drive a car unless you NEED to buy.

Why would a 6speed auto make it shift any faster than the 5eat? I thought the 5eat shifted just fine, its just slow when you are using the plus and minus buttons but that's not the tranny shifting slow that's a delay from when you push the button until the tcu finally says SHIFT.

It is only costing you $4000 out of pocket but it is still $22,800. Is your current car paid for? People always look at a trade in allowance as a gift from the dealer instead of what it really is, future profit for the dealer. If your current car is paid for, it cost's you nothing, other than maintenance, which you would have to pay on any car. Best advice is to never test drive a car unless you NEED to buy.

Yes, my car is completely paid for. I do not know if I NEED to buy but it is hella tempting.

Why would a 6speed auto make it shift any faster than the 5eat? I thought the 5eat shifted just fine, its just slow when you are using the plus and minus buttons but that's not the tranny shifting slow that's a delay from when you push the button until the tcu finally says SHIFT.

There is always that "lag" there when you downshift 2 gears. I do not know if Lexus downshift any faster because I have yet to test drive the car but I would suspect so. Since Lexus has a better build quality on their cars.

Why is it tempting? You haven't even test driven it yet. Only getting $17k-18k for your 2 year old trade is a screw job IMHO. Congratulations, you paid for your car, now drive it and enjoy it. On the other hand, your trade in will make the dealer very happy when they mark it up $5k while you eat the depreciation.

I'm just curious in why you would take out a loan on an older car. How many miles are on your current car?

I am not taking out loan for anything. I am gonna pay cash for it. Currently my subaru just hitted 40k.

So your going to pay 4k more for a car that is 3 years older and has 18k more miles on it?

I'd stick with the Subaru if it's paid off. It doesn't seem like it makes any sense to make the move.

Slammed more than your girlfriend.

How big are you? The IS is like a coffin inside. No room for anything, and forget about your rear passengers.

It is a ncie car, but is not the greatest. If it was a GS350 then you be talking some good sense. The IS is for people that want a Lexus but can't quite afford one. Same goes for the IS-F For people that want a performance car but can't look into the more expensive offerings.

X

---

Okay. I have a more immediate problem now.

A 2009 3.0R vs 2006 VW touraeg v8. What are my chances? Both stocked. In a drag race, who would win?

Neither? Which one would be more fun to drive?

I am looking at the spec for the VW and it seems to be doing 0-60 in 7.5s. This doesn't seem good...

No, not really.

I don't know that a IS350 would be an improvement over your car. Faster, yes, better......I'd stick with the 3.0 and enjoy having a paid off car with low miles.

Neither? Which one would be more fun to drive?

No, not really.

I don't know that a IS350 would be an improvement over your car. Faster, yes, better......I'd stick with the 3.0 and enjoy having a paid off car with low miles.

Haha. You are slightly confused. I am not gonna buy the VW. My friend just challenged me to a drag race and I was wondering what are my odds.

On the other hand, I agree that I should enjoy my car being paid off. But the offer seems too good to pass up. Fortunately, the weather is horrible right now with all the rain, I am too lazy to go test drive the IS350. :lol::lol:

I had the same predicament in 2007 when I bought my car...only reason I didn't get the IS350 was due to my desire for a manual transmission. To be honest the legacy is like a coffin on the inside as well if not more so than the IS.

My vote is for the IS, same mileage but 60 more hp (the IS feels lots more powerful in passing than the subaru boxer 6, same weight, rwd shenanigans, better and sportier ride, and better transmission....at least I assume as most people don't show much love for the 5eat on this board.

^^^ Did you ride in the back sea of the IS for any amount of time? I know some people don't care about that, but man is it cramped back there!

X

I agree that the backseat is kinda cramp but I do not have a family YET. :D

The small windows in the IS makes it feel smaller. While it is fast, it doesn't feel fast. It doesn't have the sense of urgency you feel when the turbo spools up on the LGT or WRX.

IS350 is a boring car, that's why my friend got rid of theirs.

Then the dealer told me that they are asking $22,800 for it and they are willing to throw in a 100k warranty on it. ... Surprisingly, the dealer gave me a $17,000-$18,000 range for my car.

I agree that the backseat is kinda cramp but I do not have a family YET. :D

1. Why would the dealer give you a range? If it is a range, then they did not appraise the car properly and you only spoke with the salesperson that does not make any decisions on how much they will offer for your trade in.

2. Sell your car privately and make an extra grand or two.

3. Based on the fact that you do not have family yet, buy yourself a corvette and enjoy.

Archived