LegacyGT.com

MT or AT

DeathD

Ok, so I'm a new registered member to these forums, however I've been watching the FS thread for a year or so. I've been dead set on wanting a SWP LGTL with a 5MT and black leather Interior, but I'm at a point where they are so hard to find with under a million miles and/or under $20k.

So i got a feeling this may be turn into a flame war but I truely just want honest opinions not just a bashing of others.

Is the MT where it's at or are the AT's just as good? Will the AT's hold up? Will I be let down if i go to the AT?

This will be a DD for many years hopefully and I don't want to regret my purchase.

Thanks for any and all "CONSTRUCTIVE" opinions.

Chris

:munch:

Did you say SWP LGT, black leather, 5MT?! Get that car right away! Lol. It's actually somewhat of a rare color combo if i'm not mistaken.

As to whether or not AT are just as good or not, they're not. The 5EAT is trash unless you bought the car new and maintained it (not my case, i'm the second owner and my trans is trashed). Although, if things were different for me, i'd get ClimberD's valve body mod which makes it shift much quicker without slop.

Hope this helps. :)

The 5EAT needs mods (valve body, center diff bushings, upgraded clutch packs once they're available) to survive high horsepower, and some people experience various shifting maladies. The manual is less problematic overall and easier/cheaper to mod. That said, I like my auto and I think a fully built auto (with upgrade clutch packs) should someday be able to hold 500+ whp.

Did you say SWP LGT, black leather, 5MT?! Get that car right away! Lol. It's actually somewhat of a rare color combo if i'm not mistaken.

As to whether or not AT are just as good or not, they're not. The 5EAT is trash unless you bought the car new and maintained it (not my case, i'm the second owner and my trans is trashed). Although, if things were different for me, i'd get ClimberD's valve body mod which makes it shift much quicker without slop.

Hope this helps. :)

remember too that the 08-09 VB (according to ClimberD) is a different animal. I think the 5EAT's of those MYs tend to be a bit more forgiving just from my anecdotal experience.

If it's going to be a DD without many mods then it won't make a bit of difference in driveability.

Test drive both and the choice should be obvious.

I drove both before I bought my 5MT LGT wagon. I was set on getting a manual but drove an automatic too out of curiosity. The difference was very stark. The automatic felt way slower even ignoring the slow shifts. Which were hard to ignore. Turbo lag was far more apparent with the slushbox as well.

From what I've read ClimberD's valve body mods should help with all of that, even on a completely stock car. But it will still be a far cry from the response, control, and involvement of a manual.

I think what you really need to be asking yourself is where your priorities are. Unfortunately only a small portion of all cars sold are manual these days, so if you are picky about color/options, you might have to take a trip to get what you want. I wanted a 5mt limited wagon and even without being discriminate of color, I had to take a bus 4 hours to DC to get one. It really depends on which is more important to you. Personally, I'd move to Europe rather than start driving an automatic. I know others aren't as crazy as me.

How many of you are willing to guarantee that absolutely no manual transmission will fail up to xyz power. The fact is they both fail at various points. We've had grenaded manuals here at Stage 2 power levels and autos holding Stage 3, while at the same time autos failed at stock level and manuals getting lucky on stock clutches with big turbo.

Autos have a pretty much proven record at this point that up to Stage 2 they are reliable for the most part, beyond that it is a gamble with either manual or auto. Then there is the debate 5-speed vs 6-speed.

A proper shift kit on the auto will allow it to clamp down big power, on a manual you will be swapping out the clutch.

In other words it's a wash and one should decide based on priorities.

What a question is it? You either want to drive a manual, or you don't. Slushbox is slushbox. It's not a particulary bad one, still sucks for someone who enjoys rowing on your own.

You can find one. You may need to travel. I drove 150 miles to buy my first LGT 5MT wagon, then flew 3k miles to buy another one. If you want one badly, you can find one. SWP sedan will be much, much easier to find.

Fishbone - debate 5mt vs 6mt? There is no debate. 6mt is 100x better than 5mt.

Archived