LegacyGT.com

1/4 Panel Rust Prevention?

What do you guys do to prevent the infamous rust? I see above the wheels it has the black liner, and I noticed it has a hole in it. Did Subaru put that in to help from rusting? I know in the older Subarus, people removed that black piece, I really don't want to do that. Also people oiled the inside part of the fender, what oil did you guys use? Thanx guys.....;)

• 3 weeks later...

Lot of jeep guys will just use old engine oil or tranny fluid. Once dirt and road grime mixes with it it essentially becomes sludge and wont run or let water/salt through. Not sure what people do on here though.

That is assuming that oil mixed with road grime is acceptable to you. :lol: All you need is a brush and some leftover engine oil.

I will tell you first hand, it works. Its messy, but it works, especially when your engine does all the distribution work for you... lol.

Just dont use brake fluid, and if you are a hippie this might seem environmentally unsafe.

If your car does still have the thin rubber "protectors" on the arches of the rear inner wheel wells, I certainly suggested taking those off.

When I took mine out, there was so much sand stuck up in there, it's no wonder why corrosion starts so quickly in that problem area.

Washing your car regularly is the best defense against rust. Adam (our main tech) had a 99 RS which was notorious for rusting on the rear 1/4 panels. He kept his car clean and maintained it well. 11 years later, no rust with its new owner who definitely doesn't take as good a care of it as Adam did.

The same goes for all Subarus though. They aren't perfect and if they are neglected they will rust. My 02 RSTi is clean as well and it has never seen a garage consistently. Finally though, make sure to park the car on solid tarmac. Gravel or grass holds moisture and over time will contribute to rusting. We had a customer who had a rotted out oil pan because of where he parked.

-Jake

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg Call directly for your best Whiteline Price! | We also carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

We just did some work like this on my newly acquired 05 wagon. We removed some small rust spots underneath and in the wheel wells, did rock guard and any necessary touchups, and then treated with FluidFilm. We've done it on a 97 BMW 328is which still has no rust, and on a 2003 M5 which still looks like it belongs in a showroom.

Archived