LegacyGT.com

Downpipe w/ stock exhaust question...(boost creep)

STiSubie109

So im looking into getting a downpipe and free up some hp/tq but still use the stock exhaust. I reading up on boost creep and didnt know if this would cause it? Would i be better off getting a shorty that just reduces to one cat or go completley catless with a full dp? Any recomendations for DP? There is a big selections out there! Also...it does not seem that tuning is required but recomended to get the full gains, correct? Thanks in advance guys!!

It is possible to get boost creep with a straight through DP, but with the stock exhaust, I can't say for sure as that resonator sure looks restrictive. I do know for a fact that a dp with high flow cat on an STi will not give you boost creep, but without an HF cat can.

You will need EM to take advantage of it though. Cobb AP or UTEC+tuning are two of the most popular. You don't have to get the tuning though. I have no clue what kind of numbers a leg with dp and no EM puts out.

Don't forget to get your MIL fix for the downpipe.

Your choices for downpipe:

Cobb $425

Lachute $495

Stromung $190

Perrin $349

Rally Performance $249

Cobb,Lachute, and Perrin are full length downpipe (replacing both the 2nd and 3rd cat). The Stromung and RP are a "shorty" (replacing the 2nd cat only)

Stromung and perrin use a seperate wastegate, whereas, cobb, lachute, RP use a bellmouth design. Lachute states the bellmouth is better against boost creep. I say it likes comparing apples and oranges.

I just bought the Stromung. I used it in MY04 WRX and loved the results.

Are there any dp's out there (or in development) that retain the 2nd and 3rd cats (but replace one or both with an HFC)? The long ones all seem to do away with at least one cat, as do the shorty's. I'd be interested in a full length dp with the 2nd and 3rd cat replaced with HFC units. More expensive, but also still looks legal. Just a thought. Any advantage of a shorty over a full length dp?

Are there any dp's out there (or in development) that retain the 2nd and 3rd cats (but replace one or both with an HFC)? The long ones all seem to do away with at least one cat, as do the shorty's. I'd be interested in a full length dp with the 2nd and 3rd cat replaced with HFC units. More expensive, but also still looks legal. Just a thought. Any advantage of a shorty over a full length dp?

yes...lachute offers a dp with a hfc...cobb is making one too i believe

I thought the Cobb and Lachute units eliminated the 2nd cat? Are there any out there that don't eliminate any of the cats, but replace them with HFC's?

like we said...cobb and lachute...replace the 2 with 1 high flow unit

like we said...cobb and lachute...replace the 2 with 1 high flow unit

Pretty sure he's asking about a DP with two HFCs. I would be interested in this as well. There's something about going from three cats to one that I'm not crazy about, I'd prefer to have two high-flow cats in the downpipe or get a shorty with a HFC and retain the stock third cat. I realize I wouldn't be getting maximum gains, but I'd like to clean up the exhaust a little bit, try to strike a balance between performance and emissions.

I believe Rally Performance said they could deliver something this if you bought a catted downpipe and catted center section. However, I don't know if they've actually built up the pipes they were discussing. After they couldn't be bothered to return my PMs I just went with a single cat Lachute pipe.

You can easily fab in a 2nd HF cat to a Cobb or Lachute DP with the HF cat already installed. TBH, I can't understand why, but everyone has their own thoughts and needs.

Here are few "solo" HF cats that could be used:

http://www.machv.com/busrachigcat.html

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/hopup1/hehicatst303.html

and of course...ebay:

http://search.ebay.com/high-flow-cat_W0QQfkrZ1QQfnuZ1QQfromZR8

It's been my experience that as long as you have one CF cat, emissions and visual can be passed (at least in PA, chester county).

• 2 weeks later...

Since Im piecing my exhaust together, an uppipe and dp are my first choices,..

With a Perrin DP cause its cheaper,..will it bolt to stock axle back exhaust? I was thinking about getting the Stromung shorty, but figure go "big" all the way thru,..figure "might as well" go 3" all the way thru,..I have to figure in shipping costs too so I wish I could get the Lachute, but unless anyone knows of any sales or "free shipping or maybe $20 more" to Hawaii 96818,..then Id be more interested to get that,..Any downsides to Perrin DPs as we dont have our own "review" section filled up yet??

What else/fixes do I need to get rid of all cels other than resistor for upipe since I will have to wait to get a axle backtill later??

thanks

Kevin

My take on the advantages of the "shorty d/p" is A) this is the major restriction in the exhaust system B) a shorty will leave the stock 3rd cat in place and w/o a close exam look "more" stock C) its about $250 vrs $450-600 for a full catted d/p. As to a full d/p with 2 cats dont know of any made. The full d/p's w/ cats all replace the 2nd and 3rd cats with 1 high flow cat. NOTE: if you leave the stock uppie alone it still has a cat. Franklin

Aright, great, so now that we know we are going to be illegal in anything we do w/ the car....I just want to know, when I go to smog it (and how often does that have to be done?), I just put on the stock stuff right? B/C it's all bolt on right? THEN will all be good?

Archived