LegacyGT.com

Spacer Rings for Speakers in 2005 LGT

Erickson00

I suspect a full 1" spacer might be too much ... the precise maximum-spacer-thickness is probably somewhere between 3/4" and 1" (and angled in the front door) ... assuming your new speakers are about 1/4" thick at the rim (perhaps a little less, but not much) ... and assuming the foam it there to accommodate tolerances. The door sheet metal is a little 3-dimensional, to stiffen it ... that also complicates defining and determining the maximum-spacer-thickness a bit.

In any case, the original Subaru speakers extend about 1.9-2.0" into the door (measured from the passenger compartment side of the door metal), so ...

With maximum-spacers, a typical speaker with 2 1/2" of speaker depth should be a no-brainer, 2 3/4" of speaker depth is likely ok, 3" of speaker depth is probably too much ... and ...

Don't forget that as you shift the speaker toward the passenger compartment to accommodate your big magnet, you give up space for cone excursion toward the door grille ...

I think you know everything I know now ... you'll just need to dive in and see what works ... save you receipts and cartons!

I wish I had saved my measurements, eh.

Cheers.

I used 1" spacers with Focal Polyglass speakers with no issues. msmith from JL Audio did as well.

I ended up filing a dispute claim through Paypal a few minutes ago, because I am disgusted with the merchant's lack of response. Very poor customer service.

so you screw up ordering because of ignorance, and you are having paypal lock up any money he has in his paypal account. I know if I were that guy, I'd be REAL pleased with you now. Like if I shipped the product, calling your local police and reporting fraud pleased.

Being annoyed is fine, but you do realise you are getting bent out of shape and screwing up his ability to accept paypal payments from ANYONE for YOUR mistake right?

I've have excellent customer service with IAP along with countless others. Monday was a holiday. I've ordered stuff from Newegg and Dell before and wanted to change my order... know what? Couldn't do it, b/c of fast shipping. Should I haved placed a CC dispute with either of them?

You may want to post here:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727049&highlight=iaperformance

Uggh.

I ordered 2 sets of rings on Sunday, ad afterwards realized I only needed one pair for the front.

Since then, I have called three times and sent four emails to this company, and have received no response. I already paid for them through Paypal, and they took my money.

I ended up filing a dispute claim through Paypal a few minutes ago, because I am disgusted with the merchant's lack of response. Very poor customer service.

Did you have a special email address for them? A special phone number that doesn't dump you into voicemail every time?

I am very frustrated. I need those rings by next week, and I am running out of patience. Now they have $78 of my money that Paypal says could take a month to get back to me.

I've have excellent customer service with IAP along with countless others. Monday was a holiday. I've ordered stuff from Newegg and Dell before and wanted to change my order... know what? Couldn't do it, b/c of fast shipping. Should I haved placed a CC dispute with either of them?

You may want to post here:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727049&highlight=iaperformance

They haven't shipped anything yet. A guy from the store finally called me Thursday evening, and asked me to call him back within a couple hours. I called him back within 30 minutes, and left a message. I called the next day and left another message. I don't care about Monday being a holiday...I have not been able to get ahold of them in an entire week. That's poor customer service any way you look at it. The phone never gets answered; it goes to voicemail. The emails are not responded to.

And they can and did accept my Paypal payment. Nothing was wrong with that. I just need to speak to someone before they ship my order so I can tell him to only send two rings instead of four.

What will happen is, they will ignore me and send all four, then tell me I have to pay to ship them back plus pay a 15% restocking fee. That's crap, since I have been trying to reach them since Sunday. They need to answer their phone, or at least return my calls.

so you screw up ordering because of ignorance, and you are having paypal lock up any money he has in his paypal account. I know if I were that guy, I'd be REAL pleased with you now. Like if I shipped the product, calling your local police and reporting fraud pleased.

Being annoyed is fine, but you do realise you are getting bent out of shape and screwing up his ability to accept paypal payments from ANYONE for YOUR mistake right?

You obviously don't understand the concept of business. Successful businesses don't sell merchandise and then become unavailable immediately after the sale. There's more to a transaction than an exchange of currency. I am an excellent sales manager for an investment bank, and if there's one thing I've learned through experience, it's that quality of care is what brings back customers, not price and not product line. That is why Dell is so successful, even though their prices and product line are outmatched by many of their competitors. Retention is the key to success in business. Unfortunately I am forced to keep working with this company, because no one else has these rings made and ready to deliver. That's very unfortunate.

You obviously don't understand the concept of business. Successful businesses don't sell merchandise and then become unavailable immediately after the sale. There's more to a transaction than an exchange of currency. I am an excellent sales manager for an investment bank, and if there's one thing I've learned through experience, it's that quality of care is what brings back customers, not price and not product line. That is why Dell is so successful, even though their prices and product line are outmatched by many of their competitors. Retention is the key to success in business. Unfortunately I am forced to keep working with this company, because no one else has these rings made and ready to deliver. That's very unfortunate.

That is hysterical... Dell's customer service is one of the worst. Call centers in India and difficulty in communcation. An order/support website where you can't cancel an order... you must call and then tracking number shows up after you receive the item. If that's successful, I don't know what poor is.

That is hysterical... Dell's customer service is one of the worst. Call centers in India and difficulty in communcation. An order/support website where you can't cancel an order... you must call and then tracking number shows up after you receive the item. If that's successful, I don't know what poor is.

I've heard about that, but I have only had to call in a couple times, and both times I spoke to someone in Texas. Besides, I was referring to the customer service during the purchase process. When I purchased my last laptop, I did most of it online, but needed some extra assistance. I didn't have to wait on hold, and the guy who helped me actually knew what he was talking about. He left me his name, direct line, and his email address, so I could speak to him again if I experienced any trouble with receiving my order or had any questions once I received it. THAT'S the care I am talking about.

Why has only one person called me back from IA Performance in a week? It just doesn't seem like they're too concerned with their servicing.

Why has only one person called me back from IA Performance in a week? It just doesn't seem like they're too concerned with their servicing.

Received word from Stephen Clarke, the owner of IA Performance. He cleared some things up, refunded my money, and allowed me to reorder the rings. All is right with the world once again.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine did do not fit. The speakers I have, Polk db6500 components, do not fit inside the rings snugly. I can only get one speaker hole to line up with the wood ring. The others just get air inside the ring. I don't understand...6.5 inches is 6.5 inches. What could be different?

I got the large thick adapters. I guess I wasn't supossed to get large? I told them I have a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT, and they had me order the Large rings.

That's not the problem - the hole in the middle is too big. No more than one speaker hole is touching wood in any given position of the speaker.

Stephen at IA Performance is cutting new rings with a smaller diameter hole and sending them out today.

I don't mind drilling new pilot holes for the screws, but this problem was more involved. Stephen said I was supposed to have thin rings for Polk speakers, but there were only two options on his website, Large and Large thick. I needed the thick (3/4'' to get the speaker closer to the door panel), so I chose the Large Thick. I think they will offer more options on the site in the future.

I think he is charging me full overnight shipping, which sucks, but at this point I just want to get the rings by Wednesday so I can get my system installed Thursday.

The website is not updated for recent legacy's as I was part of trial fit. However, if you look at the pdf on the website it does show the Polks requiring thin. For anyone else who chooses to order, it looks like the prudent thing to do is email Stephan with you speaker model for proper fitment.

The website is not updated for recent legacy's as I was part of trial fit. However, if you look at the pdf on the website it does show the Polks requiring thin. For anyone else who chooses to order, it looks like the prudent thing to do is email Stephan with you speaker model for proper fitment.

I agree. I wanted the thick rings, though, because I want the speaker as close to the door panel as possible. He said he'd make new rings with 1/4 inch more wood all the way around on the inside, for an effective 1/2'' difference. I hope these work!

One of the mounting holes did not line up perfectly with the factory holes in the door. This should be overcome possibly by boring out the hole a bit and using a washer.

They don't have the db6500 listed on that pfd, which I found odd. Plus, they don't sell the Thin rings in the Legacy section of the site.

Not a big deal...I will do a full write up of fitment once these new rings arrive and I get the speakers installed.

I need to quit taking the door panel off, though...the handles are now kind of loose from so much mangling during the on/off movement.

I'm not mechanically inclined :-(

Archived