LegacyGT.com

Steering Issues

Let me start by saying it's a 2005 2.5i, not a GT unfortunately, and it's drained more money out of me then I'd like to say. However one of the more recent issues I've found is that when I have my foot on the brake stopped and turn the wheel sometimes it'll squeal and the steering feels strange, hard to explain but it basically seems like it's falling over itself, it'll turn ok then kinda harden up and feel like it's falling into place when it frees up.

I've considered a bad power steering pump as it's full of fluid, a bad pulley somewhere and someone mentioned to me this might have hydro boost, so how can I tell, I assume I could possibly ask the dealer, but I figure there has to be a relatively easy way to tell.

Sounds like you need to tighten the belt tensioner and/or you need a new belt. What kind of issues have you been having considering it is just a n/a 2.5i should be a pretty trouble free low maintenance car!

Ok, lets see.

Before 34,000 miles a strut went bad.

I have replaced the Drivers side and Passenger's side exterior door handles.

The gas door hindge broke causing me to replace the gas door

Both headgaskets have been replaced

The catalatic converter has been replaced with the heatshields around it.

Right front speed sensor was the most recent.

The harmonic balancer went last fall and and threw the belts which took out the ac compressor which I didn't realize until this summer, one of the belts knicked the plug just right to break it from the clutch coil.

The belts are barely a year old with a new harmonic balancer. And the last one to have them off was the dealer when I had them do the headgasket they did the water pump tensioner and timing belt, but they also broke my timing belt cover which I noticed when I got it back, and had I not bought it from them last year who's to say if they would have believed me and replaced it for me, at the same time they did the upper radiator hose because it was leaking and that's what lead me to notice the crack in the cover.

Archived