LegacyGT.com

Front and rear Speaker Replacements/setup

lue

"Certain sets of speakers accomplish certain goals better than others" ????? ..so maybe instead of asking them they type/genre of music they listen to, you should directly ask how they want their speakers to "sound." I am talking about tweeter composition and cone material.

You are wrong: Do you want to know the reason why many people believe what your take on this? It's because when someone says I listen to hip hop, YOU automatically think this guy wants some speakers that can withstand some "thump" so maybe you RECOMEND them a speaker with "tought" cone composition.

BUT! How do you know this guy doesn't like the robust natural presence that a paper or perhaps poly cone gives?

You don't, you just automatically assume that because someone listens to hip hop, they need a component set with "beefy mids."

I did directly ask how he wanted his speakers to sound. You even quoted me saying it. I never assumed anything, which was the whole point of my first post asking all the questions.

You've actually assumed that he should ago active and has the equipment and know-how to do so. Active isn't for everyone. He doesn't even want to amp his speakers yet. Same with choosing raw drivers for a 3-way system; it's just not for the novice who simply wants upgraded speakers. It's too much easier to get it wrong than right and usually involves buying, experimenting with, and replacing components until you get it the way you want.

You can't turn every "which speakers should I choose" thread into a "you should do an all out, active, 3-way build from scratch." That's what people on an audio forum want, not most people on a car forum.

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EazyMoney, I'm totally over you & your mouth.

I been involved with car audio over 25 years and can say with authority that your posts are terrible advice. The OP wasn't asking for knowledge, he was asking for wisdom. You don't have any.

He's asking for a decent set of speakers within a budget. Clearly he's looking for something simple. SO JUST GIVE HIM WHAT HE'S ASKING FOR!

Please STOP trying to convince us that your overly-complex fully-active I-compare-slew-rates-and-diffraction-charts-in-my-spare-time-and-have-a-basement-full-of-spare-parts-that-didn't-work-out system is the best choice. I'm glad it works for you - and in fact it sounds fascinating - but we don't all want to spend our weekends tuning mini-DSP's.

On to some of the crap you've been spouting -

True and False. Just because you are running aftermarket components + amplifying them with an aftermarket H.U. and placing your tweeters in stock locations does not always mean they will sound poor.

In this car, unless you use active time-alignment, then yes it does. End of story.

Back to the original question - plenty of good sounding 6.5's for your front doors including Boston, JL, Polk, Quart & others, those being the most popular around here. Components are fine as long as long as the tweeter is mounted close to the woofer, otherwise the acoustics of this car will b!tch-slap you. So co-axials are a good idea. Shallow mounts are fine but tend to be less-potent in midbass to a degree, so if the full-size will fit they're usually a better choice.

The type of music he/she listens to will have NO affect when it comes to choosing speakers.

Of course it will, unless you think all speakers sound the same. They don't.

Some have better mids, great for a vocal jazz fan.

Some have stronger bass, great for rock or R&B.

Some have more vivid transient response, you'll hear that if you listen to Rush's drum solos.

etc, etc...

"Certain sets of speakers accomplish certain goals better than others" ????? ..so maybe instead of asking them they type/genre of music they listen to, you should directly ask how they want their speakers to "sound." I am talking about tweeter composition and cone material.

You are wrong: Do you want to know the reason why many people believe what your take on this? It's because when someone says I listen to hip hop, YOU automatically think this guy wants some speakers that can withstand some "thump" so maybe you RECOMEND them a speaker with "tought" cone composition.

BUT! How do you know this guy doesn't like the robust natural presence that a paper or perhaps poly cone gives?

You don't, you just automatically assume that because someone listens to hip hop, they need a component set with "beefy mids."

Trust me, this topic has been reviewed/discussed on diyma.com LOTS of times. The forum over there is no joke. Many of the "owners" of audio "brands" are members there as well as multipe Iasca, ICE, judges from Sema, Meca, etc.

Are you high? Seriously.

Don't ever suggest a set of speakers to someone according to what they listen to. If you want I will pull up a link to the thread on diyma.com and you can go ahead and read it yourself and realize that the type of music that he or she prefers has no DIRECT affect on what speakers he or she chooses.

damn i love forums, always battles, and in this category you will not beat me

I forgot, but someone above asked what "raw drivers" were so I explained it. When someone is heading with raw drivers, they are almost always going active.

Someone asked how CDT's sounded for rear fill. I noted, he/she should look into raw drivers because it would save them a lot of money price/sound. You do not need "active" equipment to throw some full range raw drivers back there. A lot of people go this route for "street listening" but when competing, they shut them off, or fade them all the way out.

I am not saying he/she SHOULD go all out active. The guy before noted on that his tweeters and "subs" were outplaying his "mids" so I explained to him a VERY GOOD OPTION was to have dedicated midranges, thus going 3 way active. I am not saying the OP should do this or that. I am giving him/her, and other people on this thread that are asking questions OPTIONS and pro's of con's of each.

..keep em comin'

I advise you to listen to my advice, as I am confident I know my audio.

Ya know, if ya gotta ask...

I don't have time or patience to read thru those last ones in caps.

Look guy, clearly you're bright and have amassed a lot of knowledge & I applaud that. Just slow down a bit & apply it wisely.

Some have more vivid transient response, you'll hear that if you listen to Rush's drum solos.

etc, etc...

You are a complete f*ck when you say that. POINT IS YOU CAN NOT FUUCKING ASSUME JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE LIKES RAP HE LIKES STRONG MB. Here let me elaborate, i posted this on diyma.com (a forum that will kick your audio knowledges asss)

READ! and if you wan't to argue with IASCA judges, be my guest.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-sq-forum-technical-advanced/117680-sick-hearing-choosing-speakers-according-type-music-you-listen.html

You'll need to add multiple amp & crossover channels too. Oops, there goes the savings.

My buddy has a set of Full Ranges (raw drivers) that he picked up from madisound that he is running for rear fill and he loves them. He swapped out a pair previous Bostons with them and he loves the upgrade!

...1. The raw drivers costed him half of what he payed for the Bostons

...2. His raw drivers only need 15-20 RMS, his stock amplifier in his vehicle puts out a good amount to run them

....3. He did not need to add another amplifier and crossover channel!

Oops, you're a dumbasss

Look guy, clearly you're bright and have amassed a lot of knowledge & I applaud that. Just slow down a bit & apply it wisely.

I am filling the OP with options. What's wrong with that? I have not said, just go with speaker set up A and didnt't leave reasoning behind it.

I have listed pro's and con's of each route, whether it be coaxials, components, 2 way active 3 way active, blah blah blah

Yeah I understand that all speakers don't sound the same, but YOU CAN'T suggest a set of speakers to someone by the genre of music they listen to. It's that simple.

etc, etc...

i suggest you read my CAPS

Go ahead try to wrong me

Okay I am heading out. If anyone wants to try and "wrong" me, I will be checking this thread periodically.

I have gave the OP LOTS of options. More than asked for, yes. Why? More knowledge=more power. I have listed pro's and con's of each route.

So, here's to you (OP) go ahead and choose some ordinary set of coaxials. I don't know about you, but my ears are located on the sides of my head, not my shins. You CAN run them off your aftermarket H.U.'s 18-22rms. Will you get full potential out of them? Helll no, will they sound better than stock? Yes,. but if you are going to do something, why not do it right.

AS far as "rear fill" goes. Go ahead and look into CDT. They have been around for a while, you can expect a bit of brightness out of them. Are there better options price/sound vs the CDT. YES! Raw Drivers>Full ranges. Lot of people go this route. You do not NEED to add additional crossover + additional amplifiers, not a necessity.

I understand that speakers are subjective when it comes to tastes from listener to listener but I think we can all agree that a set of Focals will sound 10x better than a set of Sony's.

So go ahead, OP. Listen to the "others" on this forum. If you ever decide you want to improve the quality of your system, come to me and I will help you. If I have "scared" you off, create an account on diyma.com and ask!

etc, etc...

Haha, here's to you mr boulderguy. You are very confident with the whole type of music and speaker thing so I thought I'd let you read this. I have copy and pasted this. This was from a member on diyma.com. He owns an audio shop, not best Buy or circuit city lol, and has been around for a while.

"The new 2012 Hip/Hop, R&B series components...Custom engineered proprietary genre orientation with variable selection module interface for alternative compatibility on the days you may NOT listen to the music that you usually do.

There may be a market there... "

bahahahahahahaha..........

Please BoulderGuy, click on the link that I have given to diyma.com. I created this thread, and as you can see or will see, I have gotten a LOT of responses from various people (audio knowledged filled people who live eat and breathe audio). You will see that ALL OF THEM so far have agreed with me. I really want you to read through the thread, because I dont want you going around giving false information. Sure I have given more than the OP desired, but atleast he's getting a lot of options. More knowledge=more power. But atleast I didnt give him false answers like your "the type of music he or she listens to has a direct affect on what speakers he or she wants"

I hope you do not ever ask someone that again.

Do you have any comments on choosing speakers/genre of music now?

I take it you clicked my link to the thread that goes through that and now you realize that you are wrong so you havn't said anything about it?

Am I right?

It's okay to admit you're wrong Boulderguy, we are here for you

Actually I just stopped listening to you.

I haven't looked at your links nor will I. My opinion isn't based on forum threads.

It's not a contest. That's the problem.

He asked what kind of music because it tells a little about what's important to the listener, and that information is helpful when making speaker recommendations. No one claimed there are genre-specific speakers.

What you're doing, in this thread & others, is steering into some off-topic issue where you can regurgitate what you read somewhere else. It's obnoxious. Stop it.

Lue, sorry about the argument. I will not give into to accepting that someone is giving you "false" info. Look at post number 34, and please click on my link. If you would like to figure out the whole "music genre has or doesnt have a DIRECT affect on choosing a set of speakers" than I highly suggest you click on the link and have a see for yourself.

I think you have a VERY broad view now.

I am curious to see what you end up going with. Lue, I highly suggest you create an accout on diyma.com. Not only will you be getting some great advice, but there is also a HUGE classifield section on diyma.com. Diyma is the largest audio forum worldwide. There are lots of people (audiophilles) in the states that have accounts on there. This website is home to the "heart and soul" of audio. These people live, eat + breath audio. There are plenty of resourceful people on that forum including founders of audio companies, judges from IASCA, etc. For instance, I had a ? the other day concerning diffraction on tweeters, and the one of the most valid replies I received was from Scott Buwalda (founder of Hybrid Audio) Ha, Eric Stevens recently just posted his "fairwell" on leaving Image Dynamics. If you are unware of whom Eric Steven is, well he is the founder of "image dynamics."

Anyways, I am not saying the legacygt forum is a bad place for "audio" advice, but I do think you should head over to diyma.com.

...Just opening you up to more resources

Thanks, tyler

Actually I just stopped listening to you.

I haven't looked at your links nor will I. My opinion isn't based on forum threads.

You should click on my link on post #34

It's not a contest. That's the problem.

I never said it was. If It was a contest I would have suggested going with "Speaker A." However, I listed many very many options and listed pro's and con's behind each one.

He asked what kind of music because it tells a little about what's important to the listener, and that information is helpful when making speaker recommendations. No one claimed there are genre-specific speakers.

Not really. You claimed the type of music he or she listens to will help you determine what set of speakers he or she should purchase, and that is incorrect. Buddy, this is isn't "opinion" related. It is factual, and you are false.

What you're doing, in this thread & others, is steering into some off-topic issue where you can regurgitate what you read somewhere else. It's obnoxious. Stop it.

You tried to "wrong" me so yes it got a bit off topic. However, I will stand behind what I say and will not let anyone "wrong" me and give the OP poor advice when I know I am right.

Hey whats your take on the polks....

do you like them, do they sound good, better than OEM?

i noticed the difference the front speakers made after installing my touchscreen so do you think they will sound better..

my front right speaker is popping real bad and will eventually give out thats why i will be getting new speakers sometime this week...

or anyones take on the polks since so many have them

Lue-

Sorry for losing your reply in the 3 pages of urinary olympics...

As for the Polks, I installed 2 pairs that day. One pair was in the front of my brother's Forester. We also added an Alpine HU in place of his stocker. Just upgrading the speakers was a huge upgrade over stock (not that that says much), and with the better HU, it was like night and day.

In my WRX, I installed them in place of OEM coaxials that are WAY nicer than the Legacy stockers. My stockers had a true coaxial tweeter and a woven cone with a rubber surround. I only upgraded mine for 2 reasons: to test my spacers and because I got the Polks in a limited time buy1get1halfoff deal in conjunction with the pair that we put in the Fozzy.

Anyway, I was not expecting much of an upgrade over stock. They were run off of a Clarion CX609 headunit (nothing much to shout about) and had Rainbow components up front.

I was shocked to hear how much better the Polks sounded versus the stocks. I put in one of them, faded to rear only, and then sat in the back and shifted the balance so that the volume was as close as possibe from side to side. The stocker was slightly mor efficient, but both midbass and treble was clearer in the Polk at the same volume level. With the volume increasing, the OEM lost clarity quickly, as compared to the Polk.

With both Polks in, I set the fader so that I could not really hear them from the front, but they provide my back seat passengers (my 2 kids) with a little sound while most of the sound is up front with me.

Again, buying rear fill in my case was an afterthought. Had I not needed to test-fit my spacers (and was I not looking for an excuse to upgrade) I'd have left the stock rears in place.

That being said, I do think that they sound good, particularly for the price.

If it were me, I'd look at getting the dB6501 components for the front and skip the rears for now. Those components cost about what 2 pairs of coaxials cost, but you'll have better sound up front- where YOU sit.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived