LegacyGT.com

New JDM HID Headlights Installed!

Here's proof for you Dodik: These pics clearly show the reflector differences from the stock halogen GT low beam and the stock Japanese HID low beam. In no way will these two reflectors produce the same beam with halogen in the HID or HID in the halogen. Note the position of the bulb in each assembly...HID is direct centre and the other is offset just a little.

You can see the stamping on the HID lamp it says specifically only D2R and H1.

The stock GT lights aren't stamped for some reason but the lens says H1 and HB3 (9005) on it.

USDM GT Lights

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x387/stoggy95/usdm_1.jpg

JDM HID Lights

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x387/stoggy95/jdm_2.jpg

JDM HID Light Bulb Designation

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x387/stoggy95/jdm_1.jpg

And your little diagram there is wrong because it's not so much where the bulb comes into the reflector its the SHAPE of the light source. A filament bulb is CYLINDRICAL and an HID bulb is CRESCENT shaped. The two very different shapes PROJECT the light differently and thus require different arrangements of reflectors to aim the beam correctly. You were correct earlier in saying that light is all about vectors. Very true. However, when you change the shape of the source of light in one reflector--those vectors become obsolete because they are not designed for the specified shape of light being used.

There's a reason why no reputable brand in the world makes a 9006 base HID bulb, or H4, or 9007 or any halogen bulb...because they cannot be retrofitted with good results, I don't know how else to say it. If you cannot prove it with pictures then it didn't happen and cannot happen. I'm open to anything and everything but I can't accept a bunch of writing without actually seeing some proof. As far as I'm concerned I've just proved you wrong.

Another example: My friend has an IS300 which as you know comes from the factory with reflector type HID's. He should be using a D2R bulb for reflectors, instead he has a D2S (for projectors) bulb in there and man, the light pattern is bunk, it's full of nothing but glare--he can't see five feet in front of him and we are talking about an assembly designed for HID's that is using an HID bulb with the same base as factory but it's lacking the ceramic shielding on the bulb. Same for halogens--it just doesn't work.

As far as I know H7 is the closest halogen bulb to an HID style shape of light...but it still isn't perfect. I do believe I've seen some pictures on various Subaru forums showing H7/D2R for some lights but I couldn't tell you which type.

Who cares about the cutoff, or if there for a rhd. I think there just jelly of you,idk imo. im geting them just because there jdm n look better/factory hid's. hate on me if anyone. but why in the pic of them off the car, the blinker is in the top stop, then when they are on the car the blinker is on the bottom?

cpundyk, the pic off the car is just the light reflecting off the amber bulb inside. They weren't hooked up to any power yet. The pic on the car is fully wired up. I have chrome bulbs installed as well to eliminate any amber.

Hope this helps.

well here are flaws in your logic, i never said usdm reflectors are the same as jdm ones i said jdm hid reflector is the same as jdm halogen. you showed a pic of usdm passenger light and jdm driver light which obviously have different reflectors. the shape of the light has less to do with reflection of it then the wavelength of said light. light from any source will project in ALL directions. And as far as i am concerned you have not proved anything. you compared pickle with a dick and said they are different well no shit, genius.

The pictures are to simply show the difference between a reflector designed for an HID light source and that of one for a halogen. I could've used any vehicle but these are the only lights I have access to. The principles are the same for any vehicle.

My point for this entire indifference in opinions is that in any case, any vehicle, anywhere you cannot put an HID bulb in a halogen reflector and expect the same light pattern, distance, cutoff, concentration etc. I can tell you from experience. I ran H1 HID's in my stock GT lamps and compared to halogen they weren't even close. And yes, they were aimed correctly in both situations--more so after I lowered my car.

Even with the RHD light pattern and cutoff I have substantially better lighting than the HID kit and the stock halogen. I did not put a halogen bulb in my JDM lights as I couldn't begin to tell which would fit but due to the fact that it's not stamped on there I'm guessing what you're referring to is with a different style of Japanese lamp for this car.

In summary, when you change the shape and position of the light source in the reflector it changes how the light is reflected. Vectors do not adapt to changing conditions, they are designed specifically for one light source only.

I've proved my point as best I could. I am not going to spend countless hours on something that is plain as day to everyone else but you. If you want to continue this then you'd better come back with solid evidence showing what you're talking about because it just doesn't work. It never worked for me in the past 3 vehicles I've owned (1994 Supra, 1995 GMC Jimmy, 1987 Accord). Halogen trumped HID kit each time. And if you think I'm using the wrong products then please enlighten me because I still have the Jimmy and I'd like better lighting but any HID crap I've tried just sucks.

Cheers.

Thanks!

The wiring is as follows: (thanks to Ben at SL-i)

The vehicle headlight harness plug has 3 connectors: the two outside ones are grounds and the middle is a shared hot wire for both hi and low. Subaru switches the negative leads in the harness which is why they share a single hot lead.

The JDM headlamps have 4 wires: a seperate wire for each hot and ground wire for hi and low.

To simplify things, simply tie the hot wires for hi and low from the headlamp together. Now you have 3 wires.

Connect the hot wires tied together to the middle plug of the vehicle harness.

Ground the HID low beam directly to the chassis close by.

Ground the hi beam through the vehicle plug--I can't remember which side.

--

This should allow you to run your low beams and your hi beams at the same time, just like factory. Sorry I don't have wire colours, I've wrapped everything in loom and electrical tape.

Hope this helps.

I assume this is the same wiring done on Sl-i.net?

Did you put in any relays or upgraded wire? If I recall the two wires twisted together are much larger gauge than the factory USDM wiring and the HID's need a relay since they draw more current.

I could be wrong but curious how you dealt with this if you did.

thanks

Ben

It's the same wiring yes, however the lights I have did NOT have thicker gauge wiring. I did install it using a relay only to protect the factory headlight switch.

The only difference is the relay trigger will be connected together with the hi beam hot lead from the headlamp to the hot wire from the vehicle harness.

I have 50w Morimoto ballasts on order to replace the factory 35W ones. They aren't as bright as I expected do the relay will help with this as well.

Dodik has a strong opinion based on incorrect information. He has done nothing to prove his point so far. The fact that he thinks a simple HID conversion kit is THE best way to get proper, brighter light from a vehicle is just insane. I sincerely hope you don't share his opinions.

lol. i do have an opinion just like everyone else does and mine is based on info that i was able to find. when i originally posted i wanted to see why you wanted oem hid system, not so much reflector part, but the electrical bits as they are know to be shitty at best. You so far has not understood what my point is/was so its kinda pointless to keep going at this. I have not posted anything that is proven wrong, neither have you, although you seemed to think you are the right one. im sorry you feel im bashing your new purchase and the need to get defensive but that is inerwebs for you get over it.

FWIW I have always heard the HID reflectors were different than the halogens. The real comparison would be between a USDM 2004 wrx and Sti.

For your reading pleasure. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1913854

And a visual:

HID

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm200/msesno/HIDReflector.jpg

Halogen

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm200/msesno/HalogenReflector.jpg

Ben

Thanks for the comparison. To answer Dodik I agree 100% with the electrical components, they are not great indeed which is why at the same time I had purchased Morimoto 50W ballasts and brand new Philips bulbs. Even with the crappy JDM cutoff from these reflectors the output is 10 times better than any HID in a halogen reflector that I have had in my past vehicles. I have never been able to find a conversion kit that just drops in (high quality or otherwise) and have had good results.

These failures led to a lot of research, books, etc regarding lighting and optics design to try understand why it doesn't work. I can say confidently that HID bulbs in a halogen housing do not work.

Ben's pictures prove it further...and it's not even a Legacy. These are not opinions, these are the facts about HID vs halogen lighting design.

• 3 years later...
Hi, I got myself a set of kouki headlights for my 02 Subaru legacy gt and I am having some issues. I need help figuring out how to properly wire them up. The turn and side marker lights plug in fine. However since my original headlights are not hids I can't just plug them in. My old ones had three wires. Black red and green. The new ones have four. Black red green and yellow. They also have auto leveling. Was wondering if you could give me some advice on this subject. It would be really great. Thanks

Hi, I got myself a set of kouki headlights for my 02 Subaru legacy gt and I am having some issues. I need help figuring out how to properly wire them up. The turn and side marker lights plug in fine. However since my original headlights are not hids I can't just plug them in. My old ones had three wires. Black red and green. The new ones have four. Black red green and yellow. They also have auto leveling. Was wondering if you could give me some advice on this subject. It would be really great. Thanks

Quick search

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/jdm-lights-wiring-192269.html

Thank you rumblerumble. However I'm horrible with electronics and wiring. I really need a lot of help on exactly what to do, what relays to get, what wires to connect to what. I'm really clueless. I also need to know what I need to do for my leveling motors. I don't want to sound needy but I'm a total loss on this and I just want to do it right and make them work property.

The only thing that I am going to add to this thread is that:

Since there are NO OEM USDM SUBARU HID Lights for our cars, any kit including the ones from the JDM market are ILLEGAL. DOT approval costs an arm and a leg and as such no kits are approved.

• 2 months later...
Did you have to remove the bumper to get them in? I have a 2000 JDM E-Tune that needed some USDM lights to pass inspection. I tried to swap the JDM ones back in today but no matter what could not get them to fit back in with the ballast and everything on there. Started raining before I could try to remove the bumper and see.

I guess it's a matter of opinion. I've had HID in my car for about 5 years now. Never had an issue with them. I got a good quality kit (cost like $120 7 years ago) and some good bulbs. Now, the thing is this: yes, your beam pattern will be different, but different in the fact that it is amplified, so there's more glare and it's less diffuse than halogens, but that is the nature of the HID lamp. It spreads light around like the halogen, but because it's so much more intense, it scatters. This is why proper (like DS2 lamps) have parts of the light tube painted in strategic areas to minimize the scattering and help focus the beam and projectors have a baffle inside that directs the light downwards to limit glare. I will say that the Legacy dual reflector does a good job of keeping the light scattering to a minimum, better than other cars with HID conversions. All I did was adjust them so they don't blind other drivers. Never been flashed. For the record, NEVER put an HID kit in a car with a single lamp reflector. It will scatter it everywhere and there will be glare like crazy! That's when it's dangerous. Ask me how I know that.

• 2 years later...
I just bought set of jdm hid headlights but there not some plug set up and everyone telling me I need a conversion kit where can I get one or find one??? I own a subaru legacy 2.5l auto k got the headlights for sweet deal got really excited out them on and be able to see when driving at night cause my vision getting lil bad just had bone fusion surgery please any help or advice been greatly appreciated!!!

Archived