LegacyGT.com

nyc car storage options

wpmarky

Hey everyone,

So I'm planning to move from Cali to NYC for work next April, and was hoping to get some tips about affordable options to store a car there. My wife and some friends will be coming, and since we're only planning to be there 2-3 yrs, it would be nice to have my car there so that we can travel up and down the east coast while we're there. Plus I really really want to try some east coast tracks (VIR, etc), so that's another big reason why I want to bring my car instead of just renting once in a while.

What are some affordable options to have a car in NYC? Street parking permit? I figure renting a garage spot is expensive if at all possible. I also have an aunt in Newburgh, (where I actually went to school for 4 years) so I could also just street park in front of their place, and take a train up the hudson when we want to get out for the weekend. Oh yah, that reminds me of another thing I'm looking forward to, those Bear Mountain roads... nothing like that here in Cali.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance for your help.

Depends where you will be living. If you are staying in midtown or downtown - you could look into storing the car somewhere in Jersey - right accross the river (10-20 minute train ride). If you are going to be living in the suburbs - I am sure you can find something very affordable. Basically, anywhere in midtown or downtown will be very expensive long term. Whatever you choose - you should avoid parking on the street, try to get a covered garage.

Good luck!

There's plenty of street parking available on Riverside Drive, you'd be surprised. sections of queens as well. I street park everyday in Long Island City, it's not too bad. Just use a bumper guard so people don't play bumper cars. Also mass transportation makes things pretty convenient around here, I know plenty of people that live in Queens/LI/NJ and take the train to the city each day.

Whatever you do, storing your car in a garage in Manhattan is a $400+ a month expense, whereas a parking spot in Long Island City can come in at around $100-$150 a month. It may be financially worth it for you to think about leasing a car when you really need it and leaving the car at home. Unless you really are tempted to drive those awesome country roads upstate :)

Personally I would say stay in a place like Rutherford, NJ and take the train to the city. Most places in that area come with some sort of garage space included in the cost of living there. This way you save the car for when you want to have fun. Then again I biased, I worked in the city for years and hated it lol.

Also let us know when you are out here. We go to all the NE region track events to do timing and scoring. We normally hit up Pocono, Lime Rock, Watkins Glen, NJMP.

-Jake

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg Call directly for your best Whiteline Price! | We also carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

I've looked into longterm car storage (since we will be moving overseas for 12 months), and it's not cheap to professionally store a vehicle.

So far, I'm planning on getting two bays at a storage facility, topping off all fluids, and storing the cars on jack stands. After we return, I'll replace the batteries, hand-crank the engine (using a starter jumper) to build and circulate oil pressure, then take them to the shop and replace the plugs and all fluids. The cost of storage that way will easily be offset by lower insurance and "inactive" DMV status.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Thanks everyone!

Last time I was in NYC, I noticed alot of those bumper guards. Made me a lil anxious bout street parking options. My wife and i do like queens (always go there to eat at least one meal when visiting), and some of the jobs I'm looking at are in Brooklyn (love eating there too). Is it safe to street park a modded car in those areas? I'm rocking gold SSR's right now, so it's not the most stealth car, but I could just plasti-dip them black to blend in a lil more.

If it was just my wife and I, we could probly go to LI or NJ and just take the train in. But since we're going with our friends, we'll be looking for something closer so that we can experience more of the city life. I think Upper West, Queens, and Brooklyn are as far as we'll look for apt.'s. I doubt Lower East has any options to keep a car around.

AZP i'll hit you up for sure, Watkins Glen is on my track bucket list. That, VIR, and Road Atlanta are the top 3 places I want to go if we can make this happen. If the price is right, I wouldn't mind hitting up those other places too ; )

No worries ;) If you have time to commit I'm sure we can find a way to get you into more. There are good options in all those places. Some are more car friendly than others. Its just getting out of LI or Queens that is annoying (for me a non city person).

-Jake

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg Call directly for your best Whiteline Price! | We also carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Thanks everyone!

Last time I was in NYC, I noticed alot of those bumper guards. Made me a lil anxious bout street parking options. My wife and i do like queens (always go there to eat at least one meal when visiting), and some of the jobs I'm looking at are in Brooklyn (love eating there too). Is it safe to street park a modded car in those areas? I'm rocking gold SSR's right now, so it's not the most stealth car, but I could just plasti-dip them black to blend in a lil more.

If it was just my wife and I, we could probly go to LI or NJ and just take the train in. But since we're going with our friends, we'll be looking for something closer so that we can experience more of the city life. I think Upper West, Queens, and Brooklyn are as far as we'll look for apt.'s. I doubt Lower East has any options to keep a car around.

AZP i'll hit you up for sure, Watkins Glen is on my track bucket list. That, VIR, and Road Atlanta are the top 3 places I want to go if we can make this happen. If the price is right, I wouldn't mind hitting up those other places too ; )

From personal experience, do not park a modded car in the Bronx. Downtown Brooklyn and most parts of Queens you should be fine.

"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

Archived