LegacyGT.com

Duty C Solenoid or Clutch Pack Failure

there is no filter to change, just a screen.

if the screen is clogged, metal chunks, then the trans is bad.

so it is not worth the time or trouble to drop the pan.

well there is a filter/screen inside the pan, im sure. That's what im going to change and add new fluid.

there is no filter to change, just a screen.

if the screen is clogged, metal chunks, then the trans is bad.

so it is not worth the time or trouble to drop the pan.

plus, sometimes they leak after opening.

how do you see the screen without dropping the pan? is it visible from somewhere easily gotten to? and are all models for 2nd gen the same?

how do you see the screen without dropping the pan?
you can't.

the point is the screen is designed to catch large chunks, not dirt particles.

so if the screen has chunks, the trans is screwed.

no chunks, the trans is probably ok.

if the fluid is dirty the best solution is to replace it.

if really dirty, replace it often to help clean it out.

the way i hear it,

all auto trans have metalic particles in the pan.

the clutch plates are wear items

and as they wear the material settles in the pan, on the magnet.

but an owner may misread this to mean a bad trans.

more than one trans rebuild has been done because the mechanic said,

look at all the metal stuff in the pan, you better fix this.

the point is you do not need to replace the screen.

and there is not filter, think ''engine oil'' type filter, to replace.

but if you feel better dropping the pan, go right ahead.

but if you are paying for labor, you are just wasting your money.

ah ok, makes sense. i never got it clear whether there was a filter to change or not on these cars. i need to do a few drain and fills, i have a bit of bind on sharp turns at idle. is the front diff part of the transmission for the 4eat, or different reservoir for lube? i really need to take some time to give it a really good look when i have it on the lift next time, sorry for the dumb questions.

ah ok, makes sense. i never got it clear whether there was a filter to change or not on these cars. i need to do a few drain and fills, i have a bit of bind on sharp turns at idle. is the front diff part of the transmission for the 4eat, or different reservoir for lube? i really need to take some time to give it a really good look when i have it on the lift next time, sorry for the dumb questions.

no such thing as dumb questions, no one here knows EVERYTHING about anything. though some will try to have you believe they do ;)

i have a bit of bind on sharp turns at idle.
if your tires al match, this is probably torque bind due to drity fluid and / or a dirty valve body at the duty c solenoid in the transfer case for power to the rear.

do 3 drain and fills with driving in between each.

is the front diff part of the transmission for the 4eat, or different reservoir for lube?
they are separate.

the trans get ATF, dex 3 or better.

the dipstick (filler) is at the rear of the engine, driver side, at the fire wall under the heater hoses and AC lines.

the front diff gets gear oil, 80w 90 or something like that.(check the owner's manual)

the dip stick (filler) is under the speed sensor, just above the axle on the passenger side.

• 1 year later...
I know this is an older thread but I'm running into the exact same issue. Well - at least I'm trying to determine which part of this issue I'm having. Definitely getting slow speed, tight turn binding. I replaced my solenoid around 100k and I'm right now at about 210k on a '95 legacy 2.2l. No lights on the dash and I haven't tried putting the FWD fuse in yet but will this weekend.

• 2 years later...

Archived