LegacyGT.com

Good Tint Shop in SoCal (LA area)?

atchipmunk

Looking to get my '05 LGT Wagon tinted. Nothing too dark since i'm old and my Limo tint days are long behind me. Looking to do maybe 35% all around. Anyone have any recommendations on tint shops in the LA area that do top-notch work? Clean, top-quality work is of the highest priority. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Alvin Caragay

'05 BSM LGT Wagon

There are TONS of tint shop here in SoCal. If you know about tint films, go to a store that carries a particular brand and model. Most tint shops here carried their basic "Johnson" film. If you are looking for quality film, it will cost more. I got Solar Gard Quantum from ProTint in Temple City.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'm looking at M&M Auto Tint in Santa Monica...partially because of their proximity to my work, but also because of their 5-star reviews on Yelp. Gonna give them a call for a quote. Will update the thread with what I decide on. Thanks again...

Edit: Just called M&M and they quoted me $195 for the 4 doors plus 3 back window of the LGT Wagon. They also do a $20 discount for paying in Cash...so it'll be $175. They use Johnson Tint film...how is this tint film? mk6933 mentioned this film in his reply...is the stuff bad? I like that it has a lifetime warranty, but want it to look good and to last. Most important to me is the quality of the install work because that's really what separates the men from the boys, IMHO. Back in MD, I have an old friend that has 25yrs experience as a tinting professional. I WISH I could take it to him because I KNOW he does some of the cleanest tint jobs out there, but there's about 3000 some-odd miles that will prevent that...:D

Even with Johnson film, there are many series, ask them what series they used.

There are dyed film (cheapest) what tint places called "metallic" dyed film w/ little metal, metallic film, ceramic, and more.

Places here in San Gabriel Valley can do 100-120 for all windows (minus windshield) w/ Johnson or low quality film. Many tint shop can do "quality" work, but you need to pay for "quality" tint films.

Better tint film brand include Solar Gard, 3M, Huper Optik, Llumar, and Madico. But all brand have their low and high end films. Tint shops usually carried 2-3 brands and different series, but not all.

I have 3M tint on my current car. Only been on the car a year and havent had problems w/ it. On my previous cars (OBW and CRV), I settled for the "middle brand" (not the cheapest but not most expensive either) at some tint shop in Ontario. The tints held up pretty well during 3 yrs (OBW) and 6 yrs (CRV) of ownership. They weren't laser cut, and on frameless windows like our Subies you could see the jagged edges up close. But you could only see them when doors are open, and they weren't bad. For $180 for 7 windows, I couldn't complain.

I get my tint at California Tint in Rosemead...did all windows for $125 (or 135? forgot) on a Jaguar XJ8 that had a spherical-ish rear windshield that was curved in two ways, not to mention a lifetime warranty

California Tint have a good reputation, but their 125 tint is a non-wellknown Korean brand that "they" said its good.

• 2 months later...
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'm looking at M&M Auto Tint in Santa Monica...partially because of their proximity to my work, but also because of their 5-star reviews on Yelp. Gonna give them a call for a quote. Will update the thread with what I decide on. Thanks again...

Edit: Just called M&M and they quoted me $195 for the 4 doors plus 3 back window of the LGT Wagon. They also do a $20 discount for paying in Cash...so it'll be $175. They use Johnson Tint film...how is this tint film? mk6933 mentioned this film in his reply...is the stuff bad? I like that it has a lifetime warranty, but want it to look good and to last. Most important to me is the quality of the install work because that's really what separates the men from the boys, IMHO. Back in MD, I have an old friend that has 25yrs experience as a tinting professional. I WISH I could take it to him because I KNOW he does some of the cleanest tint jobs out there, but there's about 3000 some-odd miles that will prevent that...:D

So did you get your tint at M&M or elsewhere? I work pretty close to Santa Monica and was thinking about tinting my windows.

So did you get your tint at M&M or elsewhere? I work pretty close to Santa Monica and was thinking about tinting my windows.

Yeah, I actually did get my tint done at M&M in Santa Monica. If it wasn't so dirty right now, i'd go click a pic and post it.

How did they do? Well, I have an old buddy back in Baltimore that has been tinting for a LONG time with 3M films who does the cleanest, most perfect tint jobs I have ever seen. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give my buddy a 10. For M&M...i'd give the job they did on my LGT Wagon an 8. The corners of the trimmed edges at the top of the windows are good, but not perfect (only visible when the windows are rolled down), and there are a couple of spots where there is a little tiny bit of lint that got stuck in the film. M&M does offer a lifetime warranty for the film or their work so i'll probably bring it to them sometime to have them rectify the minor issues when I can find the time...

Archived