LegacyGT.com

Tranny fluid leaking

doobaruGT

So, I just did my second tranny flush in 5K bc I had fluid leaking from the drainplug (at least that looked to be the source). I did the flush again thinking I forgot the crush-washer. As it turned out, I did have a crush washer on but changed it out anyway. Did my oil change this past weekend and noticed I have fluid coming out again.

Did I over-tighten or something? Not sure why it would leak.

:confused:

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

No I'm not sure it's leaking from there, it was just pooling in the same way, however, I do have a torn boot on the axle's tranny side. You think that would contribute?

I'm going to tell you this from experience: Fix that boot, and replace the seal. Make sure you replace the seal correctly. Do not get a remanufactured one because it's really hit or miss with those things. I had a leak from my axle seal as well after I replaced the torn boot with a remanufactured one, I also did the seal at the same time and the remanufactured shaft was too thin and it made it leak although the seal was good. I wen't through two shafts before I decided to go to the junk yard and get an OEM shaft.

I was planing on fixing the boot, I didn't realize there was a seal in there too (which I guess is kind of ridiculous bc where ISN"T there a seal). Any word on how difficult it is to do? I had a garage do my other boot last time but I don't mind putting in some extra elbow grease to save some clams. Thanks for the insights!

I guess after reading the second time, I wasn't very clear. I understood that the seal is in the tranny. That would be pretty funny though...a seal for the seal. Sounds like something you might find on a BMW or Volvo:lol:

Thanks again for the help!

BTW, I looked for a post like this but couldn't find anything, thanks for the link! Very helpful, though I don't think I'm going to do the work...I don't know enough about it and would probably end up screwing up my diff.

Archived