LegacyGT.com

Factory Tire Pressure

jdhreiss

I have a 2010 Legacy 2.5 sedan and find that the OEM P215/50/17 Bridgestone Turanza tires were inflated to 25 psi. Maximum pressure listed on the tire is 51 psi. I thought that was somewhat high, and 25 psi was low, but I was raised in a world of 14" bias belts. What should the pressure be for a 40 mile interstate highway commute in wet weather here in the Pacific Northwest?

Joe R.

Kelso, WA

General rule of thumb that I've heard of is the (weight of the car/100) then add 2 psi to the heavier (front for our cars) end. Or, you could check the door jam of the front driverside door, there should be a listing of recommended tire pressures there.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks slimjoe - I put 44 psi in the tires and drove 20 miles on the freeway when the tire pressure dash light flashed a couple of times and then stayed on. I pulled over and the tires were at 48/50 psi. I put them at 32 and all is well. My bike has psi sensors, but they come on at 26 psi (recommended tire psi is 42), not high pressure.

BTW - born and raised in Navesink, NJ until a judge suggested I join the Army.....

Thanks again

Archived