LegacyGT.com

I want a coupe...help me choose...

Hi everyone...feels funny asking a bunch of subi folks about which coupe to buy....of course it won't be a subi.

My requirements...

Turbo or non turbo...doesn't matter..just want to get pushed back in my seat a little.

AWD...I live at 10k in altitude....enough said.

Luxury...or at least on par w/ my LGT Limited...

I will probably go w/ automatic this time...

I don't hate my subi....I may be changing marital status quite soon and all the kids are out of the house and I want a coupe. I want 2 doors....

I have been researching the G37x....the 335xi.....Audi a5.....

I can buy from auction....dealer license available....I can find most of the cars above for that price....and less.

I want to be around 30k...

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.....

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi everyone...feels funny asking a bunch of subi folks about which coupe to buy....of course it won't be a subi.

My requirements...

Turbo or non turbo...doesn't matter..just want to get pushed back in my seat a little.

AWD...I live at 10k in altitude....enough said.

Luxury...or at least on par w/ my LGT Limited...

I will probably go w/ automatic this time...

I don't hate my subi....I may be changing marital status quite soon and all the kids are out of the house and I want a coupe. I want 2 doors....

I have been researching the G37x....the 335xi.....Audi a5.....

I can buy from auction....dealer license available....I can find most of the cars above for that price....and less.

I want to be around 30k...

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.....

I'm biased against BMW, hate their interiors, now that's out of the way. I'll say Audi, hands down. Coming close behind would probably be the G37x. If you can manage, S5 would be the way to go.

I know i need to go drive them...just that I'm in the car business and hate to do that to salespeople as I've had it done to myself....

TT might be a tad small...and a little girly I've always thought.

Keep em coming....I want to pull the trigger very soon.

N/A cars at altitude suck.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Just looked a little deeper at the A5.....not much horsepower in that 2.0.....anyone have any experience with this 2.0T...

One thing I appreciate about the LGT is that it is quicker than you'd expect...the Audi?

HP to weight ratio isn't as good as our cars....

I agree NA isn't good at altitude...I'm gonna have a tough choice aren't I ?

The BMW has the best HP to weight ratio and a turbo...or twin turbo depending on the year...

The only two cars you have mentioned that are worth looking at for your goals are the Audi and BMW. Of the two I would most likely pick the BMW 335xi, I used to sell BMW's and the 3 series cars are relatively reliable especially compared to the Audi. If you must look at an Audi coupe then look at a used S5 with the 3.0L supercharged V6.

Of course if you are about to get a divorce she'll probably end up taking all your shit and ruining your credit, so you may be looking for a Kia instead.

Just looked a little deeper at the A5.....not much horsepower in that 2.0.....anyone have any experience with this 2.0T...

One thing I appreciate about the LGT is that it is quicker than you'd expect...the Audi?

HP to weight ratio isn't as good as our cars....

I agree NA isn't good at altitude...I'm gonna have a tough choice aren't I ?

The BMW has the best HP to weight ratio and a turbo...or twin turbo depending on the year...

The 2.0T is quite a good engine, just a chip will probably get you 250hp, plenty more mods available after that too. If you are looking at Audi, BMW, and Infiniti, then obviously you are going to expect a porkier car. If you really want shove, then I would suggest going to a 350Z, 370Z, a Genesis Coupe, even a Mustang 5.0.

The only two cars you have mentioned that are worth looking at for your goals are the Audi and BMW. Of the two I would most likely pick the BMW 335xi, I used to sell BMW's and the 3 series cars are relatively reliable especially compared to the Audi. If you must look at an Audi coupe then look at a used S5 with the 3.0L supercharged V6.

Of course if you are about to get a divorce she'll probably end up taking all your shit and ruining your credit, so you may be looking for a Kia instead.

Doesn't the S5 only come with the 4.2 V8?

LOL>..

the divorce won't ruin my credit I promise you.....all of our cars are paid off and we sold our house b4 the economy tanked and started renting at the same time.

We don't have anything....so she will get a huge monthly check, which I can afford, and one of the paid off cars.

Interestingly enough the s5 is a thought, but wow, not many around.

335xi will be test driven hopefully tomorrow....my buddy in the business also has one on his lot and won't feel bad about being stroked by another guy in the business.

Audi a5s are plentiful....I will try to find one to test drive also.

I test-drove a somewhat used 335i coupe a few days ago. In general I liked it, I don't think I'd want to own a turbo car that got oil changed once a year (iirc that's what bmw pays for, and most people don't change it more often). I think recent bmw's store maintenance info in the keyfob, so might be useful to look into that when test-driving a car at the dealership.

P.S. wait until spring and get a BRZ?

. If you must look at an Audi coupe then look at a used S5 with the 3.0L supercharged V6.

S% 3.0 would be a vert currently. S5 coupe currently is a 4.2L only. Audi has wanted to put the 3.0 in the coupe, but people love the exhaust note of the V8.

Audi a5s are plentiful....I will try to find one to test drive also.

It would take some doing, but early 09 A5s could be had with the 3.2 V6. IT was a one year only thing though and not super common to find one.

New TTs kind suck in the way the old ones were kind of fun to drive. The new ones feel heavy and just don't have the fun factor the old ones did. Except the TT RS, but that's way out of your budget.

2.0Ts won't put you in the back seat on acceleration. They are ok, but it is the base engine for an Audi. You can chip it, but expect a drop in fuel economy.

I drove a g37 that we have on our lot today....and went and drove the bmw 335xi....lots of road noise on the bmw...shocked me actually, I thought my lgt was loud...of course maybe it was because my expectation was so high?

The g37 wasn't the awd model..but it was nice....they feel big compared to our cars and I guess they are...

I may just dump 1500 bucks into my lgt and get it to a solid stage 2...

I always worry once I do that it will be harder to sell....I don't want to be handcuffed to the car. And even if I do that...it will still be what it is...4 doors.

Thoughts?

The G37's power didn't wow me even though it was at 300 horses. I think it has something to do with the weight and the linear power gain of a NA engine.

I'm still maintaining my dislike of BMW, and the fact that you are thinking of getting an xi is telling me you shouldn't go with a BMW.

That actually only really leaves Audi A5/S5. Get the S5 if you can afford it, you won't be disappointed by the V8. Get the A5 otherwise and mod it, it responds great.

Then it comes down to reliability. I'll be honest, none of the above are stellar in terms of reliability. They all have their faults. BMW with the fuel pumps and crappy interiors, Audi their complicated designs and issues with early 2.0T engines, and Infiniti with the 7sp auto and electronic issues.

Maybe a Mercedes is in the cards for you?

Then the guys at my domestic dealership would surely disown me...they already ask me when I'm putting the bike rack on my car and am I a f*g....

Thankfully I drive a demo truck daily and don't have to deal with it as much as they would like :)

Why not pick up something like an Evo?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Originally I wanted something a little more refined.....the LGT isn't that...but the EVO certainly isnt either.....

The LGT has just enough luxury I could be satisfied a little longer with it...All the Evos I've driven are less even than the LGT...

My opinion of course...

If you want AWD + luxury + manual + around 30k. It will be tough.

Your choice is probably going to be Audi if you are looking at all that requirements. Personally, I really like the Audi TTS, it is a fast little rocket. If not the S5 is a good car as well.

I drove a g37 that we have on our lot today....and went and drove the bmw 335xi....lots of road noise on the bmw...shocked me actually, I thought my lgt was loud...of course maybe it was because my expectation was so high?

The g37 wasn't the awd model..but it was nice....they feel big compared to our cars and I guess they are...

I may just dump 1500 bucks into my lgt and get it to a solid stage 2...

I always worry once I do that it will be harder to sell....I don't want to be handcuffed to the car. And even if I do that...it will still be what it is...4 doors.

Thoughts?

Sadly the run flat tires on BMW's tend to get pretty noisy. They are not bad when new, but by 10k they are pretty noticeable.

Archived