LegacyGT.com

Outback 2007 audio advice...

ericgu

So...

A year ago I got a legacy GT that was going to be my car. For speakers it got a set of JL 650s in the front and 650Xs in the rear, with dynamat on all the doors. And then the AUX input mod.

I was getting ready for the next step - a new head unit, and probably an amp and a sub, when I found out the the clutch of the GT and my feet don't get along; I can drive it now and then but if I drive it daily it's not good, so it's been my wife's car.

This weekend I picked up a 2007 outback wagon to replace my 1996 outback, and it's time to do the stereo thing again, so I have some questions:

1) I was going to go with the same set of speakers, but am wondering if the C3s are worth the money, or if there are other speakers I should consider. I do really like how the C2s sound in the GT even with the stock head unit.

2) Amp thoughts? I'm probably going with a double din (thankfully I have the manual climate control) so I'll be able to get something with a decent (but not great) amount of power.

3) I know very little about subs, but ideally I'd like something I could pull out if I had to carry some extra stuff. I've looked at the JL wedges; they seem interesting. The JL stealthbox would be nice if it cost half of what it is, but $700 seems pretty pricey.

1. Go listen to them, it's the only way to know. Otherwise if you like the 650's I'd stick with that.

2. I'm a big fan of the Alpine PDX-5 for an all-in-one amp in this case.

3. A wedge would work. A Stealthbox is worth it, good resale value too.

I'd say try the system with just the door speakers & a decent amp, you may not want the sub after all.

Archived