LegacyGT.com

2005 5EAT Transmission working backwards???

uzubair

Hello Members,

My wagon transmission seams to be working fine EXCEPT, the sport mode is working in normal mode and normal mode is working in Sport mode. Let me explain more.....

When car is in normal drive "D" mode...it thinks it is sport mode and it wants you to manually change gears up or down....but since the gear doesn't have any notches in "D" mode you have to manually do it on the steering controls. You can change gears up but not down.

When you put it in Sport mode(by bringing the shift lever over to the left...it thinks it is in normal Drive mode and nothing happens with the shift lever (up or down), but the number do pop up on the instrument panel showing you what the automatic transmission is doing.... Really weird... Has anyone come across this? Pulling my hair out and need help....

Thanks in advance

Definitely sounds like an electrical issue, crossed wires somewhere. How did this problem come about? Has anyone worked on your car?

Also, there are 3 modes: Drive, Sport, Manual. Can you clarify if the green Sport light on your dash is lit, or does it show the gear number and you have to shift it. Keep in mind if it's in Sport mode it will shift on its own still.

Second time I've heard of this realm of electrical problem, though your case is unique in that the wires are reversed or something like that. Electrical is often the hardest thing, best left for someone who can read the schematics and trace the issue. It's probably between the center console shifter switch and the BIU / TCU area, above driver legs near steering column.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Fishbone- I have worked on the car as well as Infamous(mike) as we just completed the suspension modes. Although, I did replace the entire carpet in the car but didn't but thought i replaced all connectors...maybe i plugged a connector backwards???

Also the sport light is lit when shifting the lever to the left. That is the only way to drive the car right now. Also the sport light turns off when pressing the shift buttons on the steering wheel.

ClimberD- Is there anything between the center console and shifter switch that I may of unplugged or plugged in backwards??? Is that even a possiblity?? all/most connectors can only be plugged in one way??

I just took the entire interior apart today and made sure i didn't screw up and left a connector unplugged or if the new carpet was rubbing against a cable. I also traced the cables from the shifter under driver panel and could really find anything.

UTC_Pyro- where is this electronic schematic from? and how do I look at it. I may not be the most electrical gifted person so will need some help reading and performing

The diagram on the right has the pinout of the plug going into the selector, labeled "B116". Take a multi meter set to the diode/beep/resistance and check pins 7 & 8 (middle of the connector) on both the selector side and the car side. If you show conductivity on the selector when it's not in the sport gate, the problem is in there. If you see a dead short (resistance < 100 ohms or so) on the car side, you have a shorted wire leading to the body integration unit (under the dash). If nether, you have an issue with the actual connector.

Came from the service manual. Google: "wi-05292"

UTC-Pyro. Thanks for making it easier to understand. I will try to troubleshoot this weekend or get a fellow member to help me actually test all the connections.

Also, I'm thinking that the battery died all the way and when it got jumped it connection got shorted. What are the chances that I put a new battery in and everything solves itself???? hahahaha. Wishful thinking I guess LOL

Archived