LegacyGT.com

Power steering fluid loss

Recently started losing power steering fluid from our '98 LGT, and I've had to refill the reservoir every day for the past few days. Raised the car this morning and found the boot on the passenger side steering linkage is cut all the way around out near the outer most end, and I'm getting some PS fluid dripping out there.

On the driver's side, the boot is intact, but dripping dirty water with the front of the car raised enough to get underneath. It doesn't drip like that with the car level.

Can't find any other source of a leak in the power steering - does the damaged boot and leak on the passenger side mean there's a seal in the cylinder that's blown? If so, what's involved in fixing that?

Should the dirty water coming from the driver's side boot be of concern, or is that not unexpected? Does the boot need to be replaced, or is it simply the seal at the end giving way? Both boots appear to be a bit dry rotted.

Thanks!

the boots are designed to keep dirt out, not fliud in. if you have fluid leaking out of the torn boot, then yes, there is a seal gone inside.

i would recommend a used replacement rack. get one with the boots still in tact but replace them before you install it. if the boots are in tact the rack is probably good.

they don't fail often, so used is a good bet.

but i would look for fluid on top of the block under the pump. they are known to leak there when the fluid tank o-ring fails. refilling it 2 days in a row is a lot of fluid. i would think it would leave a puddle under the car.

to look for a leak, let the car idle in the drive way and turn the wheels all the way to one side and let it sit for a while. i would turn it away from the leak first. if you are loosing that much fluid maybe that will force it out so you can see it.

there is a ''pump re-build kit'' about $25 - $30 on the market if you need it. rebuilding a rack is expensive, and a re-built rack is more, i think.

Much obliged for the info. Looks like new racks range in price from $215 to nearly $400. Not much in the way of good used parts sources here, but I'll check the local wrecking yard to see what may be available. Didn't know about the o-ring on the pump, so I'll definitely have a look in case that's leaking as well, but based on where I'm finding fluid, I'm guessing the passenger side seal is completely blown. We've gone through some newspaper under the car, for sure. Fortunately, my wife has another car to use while I make this a project, but I'll get to it!

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

So here we are three weeks later, and I'm finally able to dig into this. Three questions:

Does the exhaust and/or the brace that spans the front and rear parts of the crossmember need to be removed to get the rack out? I can't get a wrench on the nuts on the topside of the brace, and the bolts simply spin when I turn them.

Are the fluid supply and return lines best disconnected at the hex fittings where they pass down from the pump flex lines, or on the driver's side where they actually enter the rack?

Where is the best place to disconnect the steering linkage, and is a special tool needed for that?

I've gotten the tie rod ends disconnected, and three of the four mounting bolts out (the fourth one is a real bear - actually rounded the hex head and it still hasn't budged). Also found what seems to be a nice used part for $75 only 15 minutes from the house.

Thanks!

Archived