Tire size 225/45/18 or 235/40/18

maniaxzero

I'm looking to buy new tires for my rims and I have a dilemma

Currently running:

Suspension: Stock Springs/shocks

Rims: 18" Enkei CDR9 18x7" +40 offset

Tires: Cooper Zeon 235/40/18

http://i.imgur.com/ZzGlV.jpg

Looks really good. Very flush with the fender. It was rubbing in the back when loaded with passengers and it rubs during dips in the front. I've since rolled the front fender slightly and also took off the rubber strip in the back and rolled the back fenders. As they sit now, the back does not rub anymore and the fronts only rub when I hit a deep dip in the road.

My tire tread is getting closed to 2/32" and I want to replace the tires before winter. I have three choices it seems.

1) 235/40/18- same as what I'm running now. With a set of new tires, I'm afraid the rubbing will get worst even with the rolled fenders

2)225/40/18- Recommended size by alot of ppl on this forum it seems but I live in New York City and it seems the sidewall is way too thin for NYC roads and potholes.

3) 225/45/18 - It seems like the most logical size for my use. However, it's going to be a much bigger tire than the stock size, I'm afraid of rubbing.

What do you guys think?

225/45 seems way too big. You're gaining an entire an entire inch in diameter, and it's not even listed here as an option to consider:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/faq-offsets-sizes-rims-and-tires-gt-xenonk-version-4426.html

According to a tire size calculator, you'd be off 5.5% on your speedometer.

I drive into ghetto Brooklyn on a daily basis for work so I encounter some monstrous potholes too. I'm running stock 17x7 with 225/45 and I've hit some monster potholes while doing 20-30MPH and my rims haven't cracked/dented... yet. :p

I also have a set of Volk CE28N in my garage that are 18x7.5 with 225/40. I had them on last summer and I didn't find that the ride suffered much from changing to them. I can't say I really hit any potholes as big as when I was on my stockers though, so I don't know how well they'd stand up to the roads.

Are you worried about damage to your rims or you're worried about the ride being too rough?

absolutely not. The subaru has a Symmetrical AWD system. Running different size tires can damage the drivetrain

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=18

see good thing I ask.. lol

18x7J means its 7" wide right?

Yes 7 mean wide.. =)

guess I will either get 4 tires @ 225/40 or replace 2 215/45.

thanks.

guess I will either get 4 tires @ 225/40 or replace 2 215/45.

thanks.

again, like the guy said, the tires have to be in the same circumference. being that the tires were used, you have to do 1 of 3 things:

1) shave the new tires so the circumference is the same

2) replace all 4

3) do nothing, IF the circumferences are within spec.

do NOT get a tire of a different brand/model. they'll 1) wear differently 2) be a different size even though they both might say 215/45

Archived