LegacyGT.com

Running rich on STG1...Help.. Leak??

cynet2k

I got an E-Tune by Clark and I am told its still rich and this is not normal. Here are a few logs. I logged two maps, I logged the stock map and I logged the etune map. Im told Im still running rich. Do I have a leak or a bad sensor? Suggestions? I tried to do a boost leak test on the intake. If I pressurize it should it hold the 15-20psi and not leak? Or do I constantly have to pressurize it?

The car is brand new only has 8k miles on it.

Mods:

COBB AP V3

AEM CAI

SPT CBE

Stock_Drive.csv

Stock_Idle.csv

Stock_Pull.csv

Tune_Drive.csv

Tune_Idle.csv

Tune_Pull.csv

Can someone explain the proper way to do a boost leak with a TMIC through the intake in detail please? I cant find any reference for this for a legacy I only found it for STi's I think I am missing something or doing something wrong when I do the test...

Check out your injector duty cycles on the stage 1 (wide open) log-you are heavy on fuel (up to 111% duty cycle).

Just an FYI

I did an E-tune with Clark about 8 months ago. It was a stage three tune that required the use of a wideband. After several revisions, the car was still running pig rich.(9.1to1) at slightest amount of load. Anything more than half throttle the car would fall on it's face. Again, this was after several weeks of logs and revisions. Over and over, Clark insisted that something was wrong with my car, and he stated that he was "unable to help me until I got my car fixed. Per his ongoing recommendations, I spent several weeks trying to find a leak that did not exist (confirmed with a pro-tune). I replaced injector o-rings, turbo inlet, intercooler, throttle body hose, lost a pint of blood working on my car and ultimately spent 40 hours of my time tracking down a non-existent problem. During this time, Clark's reponses became very short, disrespectrul and negative. After I posted a respectful, but honest, review on NASIOC about my experience, he refused to answer my calls. He also posted a repsonse to my review, which absolutely false information. It is for that reason (lying), that I would never recommend him to anyone, for anything.

In the end, I went elsewhere, and couldn't be happier that I did. Clark has a bunch of very satisfied customers, I am just not one of them.

Not a direct answer to what you are asking but - on the tune pull - you are knocking at the very high end (it could be shift knock) and you are out of injector by around 5K RPM. Assuming your maf scale is correct - your tuner should really pull back the boost up there - especially since you do not have a WB02 to measure AFR on the highend.

KC I read your thread and saw Infamous did yours. Im going to check one more thing tonight.

FYI my COBB STG1+AEM 93oct HWG map base map runs better then that log I showed you but the AFR is the same on both maps COBB and his maps...

And that is a crazy agressive stage 1 tune IMO.

Well I have a 2011 WRX, the turbos are different then LGT but the setup is pretty similar.

RIP: 07 SpecB... sharp S turn + deer + tree = Bad News :icon_cry:...

And I saw the IDC which confused me too maybe thats what he is talking about... He said he runs this map on hundreds of the newer WRX's... Idk

Ill post a log of the pull from my STG1 Cobb map I logged in a couple hours I dont have my laptop cable on me.

I think something is really off with the MAF scale. The VF52 is essentially a STI sized turbo - on a properly scaled maf they can flow about 300 g/sec (on 93 octane) on a nicely tuned stage 2 car with fuel mods. Typically, from what I have seen, they top out at around 290ish.

Your maf scale is showing you flowing way more air than that. Personally, I do not think you could be flowing that much air without a DP and maybe even an upgraded TMIC and some more boost. The stock injectors run out of fuel at around 280-290 g/sec.

Not sure how all of this relates to your fuel trim issues - but if the maf scale is off up top (as I am pretty sure it is) - it might be off at idle and cruise as well.

the OTS stage 1 map will definitely show you running lean because of the AEM intake. the best way to check is probably reverting back to stage 1 AND installing your stock intake again. :(

I think something is really off with the MAF scale. The VF52 is essentially a STI sized turbo - on a properly scaled maf they can flow about 300 g/sec (on 93 octane) on a nicely tuned stage 2 car with fuel mods. Typically, from what I have seen, they top out at around 290ish.

Your maf scale is showing you flowing way more air than that. Personally, I do not think you could be flowing that much air without a DP and maybe even an upgraded TMIC and some more boost. The stock injectors run out of fuel at around 280-290 g/sec.

Not sure how all of this relates to your fuel trim issues - but if the maf scale is off up top (as I am pretty sure it is) - it might be off at idle and cruise as well.

the OTS stage 1 map will definitely show you running lean because of the AEM intake. the best way to check is probably reverting back to stage 1 AND installing your stock intake again. :(

+ 1 on this.

Check this out. I logged the COBB STG1 + AEM HWG 93oct. Check out the 3rd gear pull and compare it to the other Tune log. The IDC on the COBB only hits 98% but has the same AFR's...

Does this mean the tune is not right from Clark?

Is this a WRX stage 1 map - the AEM HWG ? I don't think Clark is the issue.

98% IDC with a Cobb Off the shelf seems like alot of injector. I would get that stock intake/tune on there until you figure it out.

Yeh thats what I thought, I know he knows his shat its just frustrating. But it still has alot of power no hesitation. Maybe I should not be running HWG? The normal tune was only boosting at like 15ish.

I tried everything. All my vac lines are on and my tmic looks fine. He said my MAF or some other sensor might be bad. Any thoughts?

And yes its the WRX STG1+AEM HWG 93 Oct map.

Okay - I have an AEM intake and an STI sized turbo. Based on my pre E85 logs and a MAF scale that I know was accurate (I have a WBO2) - my maf scale on the highend is much different than yours even though we have the same intake.

At 4.66 v I was hitting around 300 g/sec of air. Your scale is showing 319 g/sec at 4.4 volts. The difference between 0.26 volts is pretty big. For reference at 4.4V my maf scale showed 250's g/sec of air. This suggest to me that you are probably running uber-rich on the high end because of the way your maf is scaled.

Overall - it is not dangerous but your injectors are working way too hard on the highend. You should get it fixed - via a tune.

My log:

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=96412&d=1297474425

Archived