LegacyGT.com

Whine under load

Maytime

After upgrading to a BNR 18g, I installed a 1.0mm restrictor pill as per Infamous1's guidance to hopefully rectify a low boost condition. I went to log some 3rd gear pulls and now at around 3500RPM to redline I get this shrieking noise like a raped ape. No discernible loss of power. I noticed that the vacuum line on the T end has about a 1cm tear in it starting from the end. It doesn't seem to be torn past the T's nipple, and the clamp seems to be holding tight.

Attached is one of my pulls, still on the base map. With the stock orifice, I was barely hitting 12psi. With the 1.0mm orifice, I peaked at just over 16psi as you can see. I've read that the shrieking/whining noise could be a leaky uppipe gasket, but it seems like too much of a coincidence to occur not five minutes after installing the new orifice. Or maybe it failed under that extra 4psi of boost, which would be lame.

I'll try putting the stock orifice back in after work.

Mod list: BNR 18g, catless UP, 3" catless TBE, CAI, Torque Solutions TMIC, 740cc DW, 255lph Walbro, Infamous tune.

datalog3.csv

Probably an uppipe leak - the extra boost was enough to break the seal.

Also, I hope this is not the case, but some BNRs have been known to be noisy/whiney - you may need a replacement.

i would bet on it just being an uppipe leak tho. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update, I finally went through and checked all the connections where there could be a leak, and the last one I checked was the throttle body hose to intake manifold hose clamp. It was quite loose, so I tightened it down and boom, no more whine. I thought all was good, then it came back under WOT around 4000rpm this time. Checked it again, it was slightly loose. Tonight I will take the TMIC off and inspect the hose and clamp for damage, hopefully it's nothing too bad.

Update: Well **** me running, the throttle body hose is torn. FFFFFFFUUUUUUU

Archived