LegacyGT.com

S60 R-Design or G37x?

Volvo AWD uses a jack-shaft out of the side of the transverse-mounted FWD transmission with a CV joint coupling the rear drive shaft to the transmission. This is a known failure point, both in terms of the seal and the joint and is a high-cost item to repair. Under warranty, no problem, but efficacy, and long-term reliability, of that "repair" seems to be suspect. And putting "R-level" power through it would, in my mind, increase the likelihood of failure, all else equal. There's any number of reasons I wouldn't buy a Volvo, but this is clearly one of the reasons I wouldn't buy an AWD one.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Personally I like the looks of the G, but, like the BMW "x" versions, the AWD system is pretty complex with an externally mounted (between the transmission and the rear drive shaft) center differential, offset driveshaft to the front differential, unequal length drive axles at the front (read: torque steer potential in hard power-on situations and the TC monitoring off).

There's several electronic nanny's managing front-to-rear and side-to-side engagement and traction, and all this running gear complexity adds weight to the point she's no longer the svelte babe that everyone wants to dance with, she's the portly matron who hopes someone will take her out on the dance floor. She's knows what she's doing, just not as exciting to do it with... ;)

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

^That is the kind of info I need. I like the volvo estetically. But I have no experiences with the brand.

Infiniti seems to have a problem with the 7EAT. Lots of reported driveabilty issues.

Have you driven one yet? It's certainly one of the rough spots of the G (along with the herd-of-angry-bees exhaust tuning on the VQ engines). The transmission is sometimes jerky when it downshifts at slow speeds, but its upshifts are usually pretty clean and quick. The manual mode is less intrusive than the awful Acura 5AT, but it's nowhere near as smooth as BMW's 8AT. I'd say the tranny is a shortcoming of the vehicle, but not enough of one to deter a buyer. They sell like crazy around here.

Personally I like the looks of the G, but, like the BMW "x" versions, the AWD system is pretty complex with an externally mounted (between the transmission and the rear drive shaft) center differential, offset driveshaft to the front differential, unequal length drive axles at the front (read: torque steer potential in hard power-on situations and the TC monitoring off).

There's several electronic nanny's managing front-to-rear and side-to-side engagement and traction, and all this running gear complexity adds weight to the point she's no longer the svelte babe that everyone wants to dance with, she's the portly matron who hopes someone will take her out on the dance floor. She's knows what she's doing, just not as exciting to do it with... ;)

This is very true. Remember, the BMW cars were never meant to be a AWD. BMW's xDrive system was designed for their SUVs, then made its way into car applications to compete with the AWD competition (read: Audi Quattro). The same goes for the Infiniti G. When it debuted in 2003 it was a RWD sport sedan -- it wasn't until later that Infiniti applied their ATTESA-ETS AWD system to the G as (which had been around for years in the Skyline). I trolled around the BMW forums for a bit, and I remember reading about a member who took a RWD 335 coupe and xDrive 335 coupe out on the track back-to-back, and if I remember correctly he said the xDrive model felt more comfortable and easier to control. I can't remember if it posted faster times, though. The xDrive models get a raised suspension and weigh slightly more.

I shouldnt say that. If the tranny is the same as it was in the g35 and 350z then it is weak. The 350z I drove had the transmission replaced twice by 80kmiles. My aunts g35 had the 6 speed replaced at 50ishk miles.

Sounds like my Subaru 6MT. I've never had to replace a manual box by 60K like I did in my Subaru. I guess it depends on how you drive it, and, of course, some luck. What happened on the Z and G you drove? The only real issue I heard about was early synchro wear on the 6MT transmission back in 2005. As you said, the Nissan/Infiniti use the same 6MT (they're the same company), and so does the Mazda RX-8.

Sounds like my Subaru 6MT. I've never had to replace a manual box by 60K like I did in my Subaru. I guess it depends on how you drive it, and, of course, some luck. What happened on the Z and G you drove? The only real issue I heard about was early synchro wear on the 6MT transmission back in 2005. As you said, the Nissan/Infiniti use the same 6MT (they're the same company), and so does the Mazda RX-8.

The synchros would go in 6 5 and reverse. Both were pre 05 cars, the dealers replaced the trannies. Not sure about my autn but my friends was replaced with a newer transmission which the dealer said had corrected the problems. 20kmiles later it was happening again. The g35 was driven by a 40+ year old buisness woman and was rarely beat on. The 350z was driven by me and the owenr my friend. We did get one it every now and then but most of the time we were just cruising to and from work trying to get good MPGs.

Archived