LegacyGT.com

Vibration up front

kennedy

Hi guys,

I've been experiencing a pretty bad vibration up front that seems worst in the drivers seat for about 5000 miles now. Tires have about 6,000 miles on them, thought they were the culprit (Continental Extreme Contact DWS) but I've rotated them twice now and noticed no improvement or change even.

I started smelling burning grease around this time and was noticing my oil filter was covered in what looked like oil, but it was actually grease being flung. The vibration started off only being present at interstate speeds while going around bends to the right. The noise would happen for a second, every other second, so wommm..wommm.wommm, if I accelerated from 70 to 80 the frequency of it would increase.

It's gotten to the point where it occurs at even 35mph, at even less of a bend to the right, and actually has been occasionally occurring while driving straight now - but when driving straight the vibration and noise never cuts out, just a steady wommm.

I just had the axle replaced today- shop said it was the passenger front, I was assuming it was drivers side because of how much I felt it in my seat, but maybe that makes sense due to the noise happening primarily when going around bends to the right. Anyway, the noise didn't change at all - still just as bad.

Any ideas on what to look at next? I'll get a video up at some point- it's so loud that even with music blasting I can still hear it, and of course, feel it.

Thanks!

The grease issue was definitely the axle being ripped. The passenger front are known to go since the down pipe is right there and it dries the rubber out. The sound might be a wheel bearing and it seems like it is getting worse. If you can take the brakes off (rotor too) and see if there is any play in the hub. It should spin smoothly with both front wheels off the ground and there should be no play in/out or up/down. It might take some effort to spin but that is due to the weight of things. If you can't do it yourself then have a shop that knows Subarus look at it.

-Jake

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Dealer

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Archived