LegacyGT.com

Top Tier fuels -- an explanation

Do you guys think Raceway gas is any good? I got some this weekend and the car is actually running fine on it so I was planning on getting it more often since the station is by my house. I used to always get it on my 2000 Celica GTS and never had problems in that car so I figured it was decent gas.

I wasn't suggesting your motor would fall apart using non-major fuel. In fact, that's the shift that we are seeing as people are unwilling to pay "extra" for the major brands.

The effects aren't short term, but perhaps long term. You have to ask yourself is it worth it? How long do you intend to keep the car? Do you notice any knocks/pings after filling up with the WaWas of the world? Is it beneficial for you monetarily to pocket the 50-150cents per fill-up? And again, I work for a major ...

From what I recall in a thread on another forum, TopTier was established by some car manufacturers to say "hey look, this fuel is good and will obtain the mpg ratings we've given our cars, any other fuel and it's a wildcard."

a buddy who works at wawa corperate HQ says that wawa sells gas cheaper becuase :

1) money is made more so off of the goods they sell then the gas, so less margin

2) They buy in such quality, that they can buy gas multiple times a month.. taking advantage of fluctuations in price ... another staion might buy once a month for a certian price... if it lowers.. they can't lower price until they rebuy

I have a cousin who is a PhD in Chemical Engineering and works in R&D for ExxonMobil. I shared the Top Tier concept and website with him for a reaction. We wasn't really convinced that there's anything to it.

It's true that detergent levels in gas have gone down over the years, but this is partly because engine designs have gotten better and can handle the reduced

levels.

His best guess is that that the organization is funded to be an advocacy agent for

additive suppliers. Gasoline is pretty much a commodity - retailers long ago gave up trying to claim that their gas was better than someone else's. This development has been a blow for the additive suppliers.

I work in Oil and Gas ... won't reveal who I work for but I will make a shameless plug. The clue is in my on-line name. I suggest you do buy major brand fuels ... it's all about the additive. Yes, the Costcos and Wal-Marts do buy from the majors but that missing component is the branded additive that's injected into the tanker as the gas is loaded. Why would you pinch 3-7cents per gallon and put crap in your car?!? All to save ~70-90cents per fill up?!?

Does it matter as much if you use Redline Fuel System Cleaner on a regular basis? I usually try to use a bottle in a few tanks before every oil change. I usually run Sunoco 94 in my M3 and a few other brands of 93 in the Subie...I have yet to have a problem with gas.

• 9 months later...
BP now use's amaco fuels ... im kinda doubted this, basically this is a rating on engine detergents ... I have always found that BP/Amaco always gives me the best engine reponse and Amaco has been rated like the best forever ... Conoco ... i hate that stuff ... most of the fuels on that list i would never use, except shell, i have have always been loyal to Amaco and intend to stay that way.
I love my car ... basically.

I've been using Chevron gas for years. Does their additatives make any difference? I have no clue, but I feel more comfortable using their fuels. In the end that's what matters to me: do I trust the gas.

I've been a loyal BP customer, but his makes me mad. BP SUCK IT, I'm going Shell.

Shell and Chevron are tops, but BP is actually very good as well. The deal with Top Tier is that it isn't an INDUSTRY developed standard, it was actually developed arbitrarily by some auto manufacturers. To be classified as Top Tier, you need to pay money (and a lot of it). So for political reasons, BP has elected so far to not apply for Top Tier status despite that they would almost certainly qualify completely.

This all coming from a Gasoline Retail Exec. who works for a company that would not qualify for Top Tier status (My step-dad).

I looked through that, and it seems like there is a lack of information about who actually did the testing, how many samples of each brand, and the quantified results of all brands.

It does say that 4 automakers came up with the standards, and what the standards are, but says nothing about the quantifiable results of the top tier brands, how other brands fared, or consistency of quality. (did they just get a good sample? how or where do they obtain their sample? corporate, distributor, or a random retail outlet...) What was the duration of the testing?

It seems like there is some information left out that may hide bias, or fluke results.

And right there, you hit the nail on the head! :)

An STI driver that works for my mom recommended that i use amoco because i was getting some sulfur smell when i backed the car up ... i dont get them anymore now that i use amoco ... and from the same station ... everytime
I love my car ... basically.

http://www.crystalclearultimate.com/about.cfm?city=chi&lang=en

This is amoco's website, there gases have less sulfur in them

This just in!! Amoco says "Amoco gasoline is good."

I would consider verifying that info with a 3rd party source.

Generally speaking the quality of fuels have gotten good enough that it's not really an issue. Add to that the fact that many states require tanks to be dug up and replaced in regular intervals and the chance of getting a bad tank is almost zero. I know Honda has started only installing an in-tank fuel filter as a "lifetime" part with no maintenence interval.

at any rate, I don't know how they can possibly make a blanket statement that brand X fuels are top tier and brand Y are not. State emission control laws require special regional boutique blends. So the gas you buy at exxon in one state may not be the same gas as what you buy at an exxon 20 miles away accross state lines, or even in another metro area.

Archived