LegacyGT.com

New here, quick question about aftermarket intake & exhaust

JermTheElf

So I just bought the car, going to pick it up today. The car already has an SPT intake on it, which I read can cause a lot of problems, but I also read that it was a great product. I believe the car also has a cat-back exhaust, I havent heard a stock LGT exhaust, but if this is a stock exhaust then wow they made them sound amazing from factory.

So my question is, do I need a tune for the intake? I have read that you don't need a tune for a cat-back. I don't want to get a tune and have to run 93 octane.

Which brings me to a very noob question... What octane gas does the require stock? I'm assuming 89, but I'd like to know first.

So, is it bad to run the SPT intake without a tune? Or will I just see no gains from it (which I'm okay with)

A learnig view of A/F correction should be indicative of how well that MAF is scaled (if your injectors are stock, of course). Your stock air box can handle anything a stock turbo can throw at it.

A learnig view of A/F correction should be indicative of how well that MAF is scaled (if your injectors are stock, of course). Your stock air box can handle anything a stock turbo can throw at it.

Alright thank you. I plan on taking to a tuning shop to have them look over the car.

Would you reccomend going back to the stock air box? I don't want an intake harming the engine if it's not tuned.

The SPT intake was designed to be bolted on the car without a tune. However many tuners complained that they had issues tuning the intake to get the most out of it. Any intake can cause the car to run lean as there is more air flowing in than the car is used to. Mike had the SPT intake and cat back on his old wagon with no issue. As with any car that you modify, if you don't tune the car for the parts on it then you will never get the most out of the it.

The stock air box does a pretty good job of keeping up with the stock turbo. If you plan on doing more power mods to the car I would talk to the tuner you would be going to and see what they say about the intake. Where are you located?

-Jake

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Dealer

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Archived