LegacyGT.com

K&N Typhoon... constant loud sucking at 2-4k?

hehe i know .. yea when on cruse it can be a lil annoying ..

where is your airfilter ? engine bay or down in the bumper area ?

Its in the engine bay.... the underhood temps are retardedly hot compared to my jeep (I suppose the turbo might have something to do with that.) Its like a hot air intake... maybe extending it into the bumper area would shut it up, but then I'd be too lazy to get in there and clean it.

Mine makes this noise too, stock intake with filter. At 75%+ throttle it wooshes. I figure with the increased flow from the downpipe the turbo is sucking in more air anyway.

Stock wouldnt be a big deal to me since I dont usually cruise at 75%+ throttle. :eek: That and the tires I have are hella loud, but appear to be wearing just fine.

for what it's worth- modifying the stock intake screws with the maf readings. been there, done that, logged that. I removed the silencer box underneath the airbox and it made my maf readings all wacky doodle. For the best performance, leave the intake duct on, and keep the silencer in. Removing the intake duct does not help performance one bit. I logged pre/post duct removal on an 89 degree day. Highest intake temps were 124, lowest was 111. With the duct on the highest was 110 and lowest 94. Significant improvement, and the silencer messed with my fuel trims a little when I removed it.

Recommendation: keep the entire intake system stock until you get an intake setup, don't hybrid the airbox....it's shape and design is like that for a good reason. It may not produce a bump in your pants but it will be better for performance and mpg overall rather than modding the stock box.

it's healthy and safe as long as the entire intake system is intact, yes. However you'll want to look elsewhere to see if there's any boost leaks or vaccum lines pulled off, air/boost escaping from places, even between hose clamps can make weird noises. The throttle body coupler, if it's loose, can cause a whistle or a farting sound when you get on boost. any idle issues?

Oh, nope. not at all. ALTHOUGH I think I have an exhaust leak somewhere that 4 people can't even find. I redid the gaskets on all of the manifold and uppipe, so its pretty upsetting. I only know I have an exhaust leak because my car is louder than stock even though I have the stock exhaust minus the up/dp.

Archived