LegacyGT.com

Stock air filter, mess with tune much?

kennedy

Hi guys,

I've been pretty hard on my blitz panel filter, I think it's seen about 50k miles and three cleanings, probably not the most thorough or gentle cleanings at that.

Time for a new one, and I'd like to ideally just go back to paper so that I can do this without delay and knock it out tomorrow locally.

I'm stage 1 (infamous) done 15k miles ago, so the filter was also in terrible condition then as well. I've read that switching from higher flow to paper with a tune can cause serious issues - what do you guys think? A map made for a car with an old plugged up high flow filter, being changed to a slightly more restrictive paper filter.. Equivalent?

Thanks for any input!

WOW.

I bought a new filter but decided to pull up learning view to see how the car has done for the past several months on this tune.

Knock I had maybe 8 cells out of dozens that read 0.. knock everywhere. IAM @ 87.5 :| This very well could have been like that for months. I don't really get on it anymore so I didn't notice anything short of a more pronounced hiccup @ 3kish rpm than normal.

I installed new air filter and reset ecu, drove around for 45 minutes at like 3500 rpm max and checked LV to see if it was at all better. Read 1 for IAM, I had 0 knock.

Got on it harder, one 2nd gear pull to red line (couldn't do third, way too hard to find a place to go that fast) and quite a few switches from 4th to 3rd, gunning uphill to 5500 rpm. Did this for like 30 minutes having fun in the canyons and pulled LV, IAM still 1.0, two cells had knock @ like low 1's.. about 20 less cells than at first.

I can't believe my car didn't blow up- I've done a lot of commuting and while I don't gun it a lot I certainly dog it in third to get up to 80 for the interstates.

Archived