LegacyGT.com

APv1 stg 2, need guidance on future upgrades

Hey everyone, I have been reading on these forums for a while, but havent posted much. Anyways, I have a 05 LGT with 145k (bought at 140, well maintained) so I know it will last.

Current mods:

Megan catless dp

SPT intake

cobb ap V1 stg 2

future must:

CBE

springs/struts/coilovers (don't know which combo/brand yet)

I need guidance on where to go next for more hp/tq without wasting too much money and messing up my block.

I am a college student on a budget so I was wondering what I should do next: TMIC, FMIT? headers, uppipe? bigger turbo?

I want to know what is the next step for most hp/tq for the buck. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

:)

Stick with the stage 2 power, but work on suspension next. What good is more power if the vehicle cant effectively use it. Suspension work will certainly liven up the car and allow for better use of power. The first thing should be good rubber, though!

At this point, the best bang for your buck will be adding a catless up pipe. Just get a used one. You should've put one on when you did your downpipe.

Then sell your intake. The SPT hot air intake is causing you to lose power.

Once you do those two, get a real tune specifically for your car. I've been running PDX maps for over three years with 0 issues.

Figuring you get $100 for your intake and install the up yourself, everything I mentioned will cost you about $200.

I mentioned suspension because I know it's a must with stg 2 power, it rocks the car front and back when I shift.. And I want to lower it for style and eliminate body roll. But the problem is that I know cheap coilovers suck, and don't know what combo of springs/struts will work best for stiffness and the perfect lower height with my 17"

What's wrong with an spt short ram intake and a heat shield? Are you saying oem is better or do Diff brands work better?

Yea uppipes are cheap and I will probably do that, I just didn't know if the stock legacy GT came with a cat, cuz I know the Sti were catless stock.

...what about the gains compared with a tmic? I've seen used ones for around 350?

And yes once I'm happy with my set up I'll do a protune

But I called gst motorsport (I live in bay area) they charge 400, is that a good price?

400 is around the going price for an OS dyno tune....so yea.

your car has a cat in the uppipe.

koni struts with your choice of spring is excellent, or go with coilovers that are $999 or more. :lol:

the spt intake sucks. the bend of the intake messes with your maf readings like no other, the stock box setup with intake duct is functional and effective, and provides enough flow for any setup up until you upgrade the turbo... I tested this over the weekend via logging intake air temps. I'd suggest a KS tech cold air or AEM setup. However, not sure if you know this but, accessports are designed for stock intake systems, so there's a good chance your afr's are all wacked out right now. this can be fixed with a custom tune.

A fmic over a tmic gives you torque gains, the racer-x kit is awesome for stock turbo setups.

You don't need a dyno tune on a basic stg 2 setup. There are tuners that will remotely tune via email. They cost $150 bucks and they will make revisions for a nominal fee if you add parts at a later date. I mentioned PDX b/c that's what I have and I'm happy with them.

You can upgrade your intercooler later. It does not require a tune.

ok PDX will work better, 400 vs 150 for a simple tune.

You saying SPT intakes were horrible were a surprise, but after doing 2hrs of reading I know why you are saying that. But I do have a heat shield, and I took off my lower plastic cover under the car so there is a huge whole where the air can come in, you still say the stock box is better? Wont a tune make it run better with an intake?

What do you guys think about

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MEGAN-Exhaust-Header-TURBO-MANIFOLD-05-09-LEGACY-GT-LGT-/260846031366?pt=Race_Car_Parts&hash=item3cbba29206

uppipe with headers in one... I know headers wont do miracles, but 272 for both as opposed to 150 for uppipe?

Sorry for all the questions, Im just trying to not waste my life reading this whole forum, but get some direct answers...

The megan will crack in due time, second problem is you're on ebay. Your car will not perform any better with an aftermarket intake....you can search this if you dont believe me. I have been present during a stage 2 dyno tune, two identical pulls with and without aftermarket intake, 1whp improvement. This is because the stock system flows fine for stock turbo, when theres a bigger turbo than stock then you should get an intake.

The spt isnt bad because of the hot air sucking but because of the design of the tube itself, poor design and causes turbulence through the maf. This can cause drastic fluctuations in afr as well even after being tuned.

The stock intake system works very well for providing cold air mostly because of that intake duct thing. I tested this myself when logging intake air temps with and without the airbox intake. Big diff.

If you're dead set on having a aftermarket intake, get the cobb sf with the box. No worries about sucking in water, you'll retain that turbo sound, and you may pick up some power with proper tuning.

As for the Megan stuff...I have their quad tip cat back. It fits like crap. It sounds like crap. I'm stuck with it though b/c I love the quad tips and every other quad tip CBE also has problems.

I agree with rjs5689 and stoplightassassin, only because I'm in the same position as you, and wish I would have invested in suspension first. These cars are already fast and when you tune the suspension it makes it feel faster. Also a uppipe/downpipe is more than enough to keep the car safe and I went w/ a cobb intake and don't get me wrong I like it but should have spent money elsewhere because the only thing it did was give me a vta sound. But all in all get a catless upipe or gut yours and some springs and sways for now should help with that heavy foot. Btw you mentioned about the car rocking front to back, if you upgrade pitch/tranny/engine mounts DO THEM TOGETHER, my pitch wore out within 6 months.

If you're dead set on having a aftermarket intake, get the cobb sf with the box. No worries about sucking in water, you'll retain that turbo sound, and you may pick up some power with proper tuning.

As for the Megan stuff...I have their quad tip cat back. It fits like crap. It sounds like crap. I'm stuck with it though b/c I love the quad tips and every other quad tip CBE also has problems.

Actually the Invidia q300 V2 is by far the greatest exhaust ever, (apart from perrin,cobb,hks).

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/invidia-q300-v2-exposed-155631.html

Archived