LegacyGT.com

HID Questions

Hey guys,

I'm finally getting some HID's put in this Friday and had a few questions I'd like to clear up before I go through with the process.

1. DRL are required in canada, and I checked to make sure that mine are the actual the High beams dimmed down. I was wondering if there is anyways to take the yellow tint out of the DRLs. Different bulbs maybe? Is there anyway to get a cleaner looking light out of these?

2. I'm also getting the fogs tinted yellow but with the current bulb I feel the HID's will overpower output. Is there anything I could do to the fog lights to be as crisp and strong as the HIDs.

3. Are most of the kits similar? I was recomended this one: http://www.toofastmotors.com/hid.html

Are there things I should be looking out for when buying a kit?

I'd love to hear any recommendations or suggestions you guys have,

Mario

for the DRLs, just get new bulbs.

for the HID's, there's a ton of controversy as to what kit is better. My recommendation for the fogs is 3000k 35w HID's, shouldn't be too bright but it'll be a nice crisp yellow. http://www.diodynamics.com makes nice kits, although my cheapass DDM tuning kit has lasted longer than my $100 diode 35w ballasts. It seems the slim style ballasts have a higher failure rate opposed to non-slim. This is from my personal experience, I've gone through three hid kits so far, non-slim being the longest lasting.

Thanks bmx,

Looks like it'll be purchasing 2 kits, one for the regular lights (6000k) and one for the fogs (3500k).

Is there anywhere online I could find out what bulb I have to buy for my DRL and how it will look in terms of light output?

Mario

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/LampReplacementGuide/

is a good place to start when looking up your bulbs. There isn't a different light for the drl. There is a control box that limits the voltage output and thats what makes the bulbs dimmer. If you change the bulb to a different color, it will make the output color look different but the output wattage will still be lower from the control module. H7 are the low beam and 9005 are the high beams. I am almost 99% positive that the drl is the low beam. There is a thread that tells you how to change it to your high beams. When you put in HIDs in the headlights you have to disable the driving lights because it will cause them to flicker because they are being supplied with an undervoltage from the drl control box. One way around this is to wire in a relay and use the headlight pos wire as an activator for the relay and supply voltage from the battery, or you can disable the drl module and it won't cause that. Like I said, there is a thread to show how to change your drl to the high beams being you do still need them to work. I hope that helps.

i live in canada and i have had daytime running lights disabled for the past 4 years.

and i have never herd of anyone getting a ticket for that.

fyi' hid's are not legal so you might get a ticket for that.

one of the main factors of the hid's being not legal is because they blind everyone. ( when most people put them on the low beams)

but the legacy has projectors that seam to keep the light below the focus line.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/LampReplacementGuide/

is a good place to start when looking up your bulbs. There isn't a different light for the drl. There is a control box that limits the voltage output and thats what makes the bulbs dimmer. If you change the bulb to a different color, it will make the output color look different but the output wattage will still be lower from the control module. H7 are the low beam and 9005 are the high beams. I am almost 99% positive that the drl is the low beam. There is a thread that tells you how to change it to your high beams. When you put in HIDs in the headlights you have to disable the driving lights because it will cause them to flicker because they are being supplied with an undervoltage from the drl control box. One way around this is to wire in a relay and use the headlight pos wire as an activator for the relay and supply voltage from the battery, or you can disable the drl module and it won't cause that. Like I said, there is a thread to show how to change your drl to the high beams being you do still need them to work. I hope that helps.

Unfortunately today you're 99% wrong today, 08's use high beam bulbs as DRL's at lower voltage per DRL control module, not the lowbeams. He doesn't have to change anything, HID low beam headlights are plug and play for him.

Easiest way to change the color of the drl's is to get a different bulb, mucking with the voltage through there is pointless. I just disabled drl's all together.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/foglight-drl-mod-make-your-fogs-work-drls-42877.html?t=42877

thats a thread to make your fog lights work as your drls. You have to find out with the local inspectors if this is an avail. alternate for having them in the headlights.

as for the hid kits, I have always bought the regular 35w or 55w kits from xentec

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XENON-HID-KIT-RE-D2S-D2R-H1-H3-H4-H7-H11-H13-9006-9007-/290574722915?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43a79a6763

They come with a 2 year replacement warranty and I have NEVER had a problem with them. They are a cheap set of digital ballasts and bulbs with the appearance of the $100 sets. I would look to get the 3000k for the fog lights if you want a yellow tint to them and a set of 6000k if you are looking for a blueish tint to the bulbs. I am a fan of the 5000k series cause it is the closest looking to factory diamond white. I went out and bought 2 sets of headlights and 3 sets of fog lights cause I didn't know what color I would like better. I tried the 3000k series in the fogs and they weren't too yellow. Then I went with the 6000k and I wasn't impressed. Now I have the 5000k in the fogs and the 5000k in the headlights and thats what I like the best imo.

Hope thats more help.

Unfortunately today you're 99% wrong today, 08's use high beam bulbs as DRL's at lower voltage per DRL control module, not the lowbeams. He doesn't have to change anything, HID low beam headlights are plug and play for him.

Easiest way to change the color of the drl's is to get a different bulb, mucking with the voltage through there is pointless. I just disabled drl's all together.

Thats why I was 99% positive. There are sometimes they use the other headlight or even an alternate light for the drl. Most of the HID kits are plug and play but if you have the drl in the low beams like mine are, you have the 2 options to wiring them. I did say that changing the bulb will change the color. The output wattage will be different becaise thats what the drl control box does. It lowers the voltage which lowers the wattage.

I'm currently running 6k in lows and 3k in fogs. Yellow high beam bulbs. It seems like this is the setup you are going for. Before buying hids for your fogs make sure they are adjusted properly. It makes a big difference.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to pm me on tsc. I'd be happy to help out a dbm wagon brother.

If you don't block off the "squirrel-finder" shield behind the projector lens, your HIDs are going to glare, and the whole front of the car will look washed out to oncoming traffic. Your car will NOT look like a BMW or Audi coming down the road. These cars do not have HID compliant projectors in them and are completely not designed for this kind of bulb.

Get 4300k (white) bulbs. If you get blue bulbs, there won't be that cool "color shift" you see from the projector lens, because the light coming through is already blue.

4300k provides the best visibility, 4300k provides the least ricey appearance.

bmx045, 05 Scooby roo & frank_ster - Thanks guys, I think I will be going with 4300k or 5000k for the lows and 3000k for the fogs.

13fido13 - Thanks again, I can't wait to see your car in person sometime. I almost feel we are competing with the mods :-P Do you know of any guides to adjust the fogs. Is this something one can do on their own? I'm going to put them in on Friday and leave them off till I adjust.

burnout8488 - Thanks for the tips. Could you clarify what the squirrel-finder is?

Has anybody here swapped out the projectors on their suby for ones that would work better with HIDs? Will the stock housing really look that bad?

Mario

Stock housing looks ok, the cut off isn't the greatest, and with 6ks the cutoff isn't blue.

I ran with stock lenses and hids for a while, but this year I got proper lenses and got the squirrel finders blocked off and it looks a lot nicer.

Brighter hids, cleaner cutoff, and a nice blue tint. Though the stock lenses and hids still look good.

Almost everyone with hids and a modified car will run without DRLs, or use their fogs as DRLs. Take a look out and there are actually a lot of people without their DRLs on in the city. I just run my hids all the time, I know I'm killing the ballasts and bulbs, but I'd rather have DRLs (I'm 05 so I don't have your dimmed highbeams)

If you ever wanna see any wagon stuff, or have any questions lemme know I'm fairly closeby.

Archived