LegacyGT.com

HELP! stuck at firestone, wide oval

YourConfused

Bought the car (07lgt) w/ wheels and no-name tires. Then new wheels w/ same tires, seemed to vibrate about the same, got new wheels, still vibrated. Today I was forced to buy new tires as the old ones were about to pop due to sidewall damage. The no name tires, worked better than the Nexxen 3000 crap I had on another subie and were decent all around.

I now have firestone wide ovel blacks. They are not the Dunlop Star Specs I had wanted, but nobody in town had the star specs in stoc.

Should I try to get the tire I wanted shipped to me in a couple of days, or just deal with the wide oval that they have in stock,?, as tire rack seems to rate them well?

I drove them 7 miles and they seem to be rather lould.

FWIW, I have the 18" Firestone Wide Oval Indy 500's on my 08 LGT since the end of July and have not experienced any vibrations with these tires.

That being said....First make sure that the place you had the tires mounted did so using a "Road Force" balancing procedure. Sometimes this costs extra... in the case of discount tire where i went. It was something like $12.50/tire extra....

Also if you haven't already look into the Tire Shimmy issue on the forum

- A good shimmy thread

- SOA service bulletin regrading Shimmy (PDF)

Good luck,

-Mike

I was in a similar situation in February when I had to replace my Bridgestone RE960A/S tires, and I ended up getting the Firestone Wide Ovals.

I agree that they're loud. I didn't perceive the traction in the rain to be as good as the Bridgestones (as expected), but I think they have decent grip. I did get a slightly wider tire than I had on before, though.

FWIW, I have the 18" Firestone Wide Oval Indy 500's on my 08 LGT since the end of July and have not experienced any vibrations with these tires.

That being said....First make sure that the place you had the tires mounted did so using a "Road Force" balancing procedure. Sometimes this costs extra... in the case of discount tire where i went. It was something like $12.50/tire extra....

Also if you haven't already look into the Tire Shimmy issue on the forum

- A good shimmy thread

- SOA service bulletin regrading Shimmy (PDF)

Good luck,

-Mike

I had no idea there was a shimmy issue on these cars. Thanks for letting me know about this. I think my tires were static balanced and I know that they do not have a road force machine at the shop.

I was in a similar situation in February when I had to replace my Bridgestone RE960A/S tires, and I ended up getting the Firestone Wide Ovals.

I agree that they're loud. I didn't perceive the traction in the rain to be as good as the Bridgestones (as expected), but I think they have decent grip. I did get a slightly wider tire than I had on before, though.

The tires go from quiet to really loud depending on the surface. It has not rained here since last year (I saw it rain across the street once) so I have no idea if they are any good in the rain, but dry weather traction is good.

• 4 months later...

I have a few thousand miles on these tires now and I am happy with them when I am not driving hard. Maybe I just got use to them or something, but they are fine most of the time.

MASSIVE complaint in my book is that the tires never make a sound when approaching the limit of their grip or when they finally decide to let go. They hold the road and then BAM! Nothing but a sliding car. They don't even make any noise when spinning the tires on good dry pavement.

Just thought I'd mention that just in case anyone else would be curious.

Archived