LegacyGT.com

Question for all audio pro's here :)

dedma3au

Car: 05 LGT with auto climate.

Was installing a single din dvd/nav unit into cubby opening above information display. Tap into harness and ran wires to connect additional audio source to stock speaker system.

Rough in is done and after turning it on i have distortion noise in all speakers.Still plays audio but similar noise to playing loud on underpowered amp, all the low frequency turns into crackling noise. It is all the time when aftermarket stereo is playing. It is happening when stock stereo is playing and aftermarket is turned on, but disappears when i turn it completely off.

I'm thinking I could made a mistake and one of the connection is not good, highly doubt that though. Maybe since i used power and ground from stock unit it's affecting the sound, and i should ran separate line ? Or the speaker selector switch should be used and there no way around it ?

Doesn't depend on engine RPM since i didn't even started engine ;) Does not depend on Hvac. Stereo is brand new Clarion NZ500 . I had audio signal from both, just wasn't clear as soon as both were connected and either of them playing. What i figured out after few hours fooling around with it, is it is definitively amps being wired that way make a noise. Any one of the stereos connected separately works perfect. For now I connected signal from front stock stereo speakers to Audio Line-in on Clarion so they both functional.

Sounds like you solved your problem.

What you did was introduce a new circuit into the speaker circuit for whichever unit was playing. Basically that wiring scheme was forcing the playing headunit to drive the speakers & the other headunit (as if it was another speaker). If you'd tested the speaker leads you'd see the resistance probably changed drastically.

To put it more simply, you can only connect your car's speakers to one HU at a time.

If you want to retain some audio functions from the OEM HU (the 6-disc changer is the main thing people want to keep, but perhaps also an OEM sat radio tuner), you need to run a pair of the OEM HU's speaker outputs into a Line Output Converter (LOC). Then connect the LOC to the new HU's aux input.

Archived