LegacyGT.com

Launched the car 3 times ever can the clutch be out already

sooby

So last week I got a CEL on my stage 1 05 LGT manual and after posting on here it was determined that the starter was not getting enough input. but I am guessing that is b/c of my car pc, 2 amps. and sub I am powering from battery. But car still starts up fine as of now and I will look into checking the starter/ wire harness etc. when I get the chance asap.

I dont drive the car too much ( 2 times a week max) but today while driving I noticed that revs are hanging a bit too long and even if i am at like 5k in 3rd gear and shift up to 4th its still stuck around 5k which is bizarre. Then soon after I can start to smell the clutch burning. I noticed that this worsens if I am pushing the car in the 5-6k range where the rev overhang is more severe. If i just shift at like 3k its not too bad and barely noticeable. Any ideas??

I can think of 2 things that have caused this recent problem:

1) About 2 days before I got that CEL (so a little over a week ago) for some reason I thought it would be a good idea to see how fast my car launched from a dig. I wasn't racing anybody or anything just slowed down on an abandoned highway and practiced a few times.

2) I have been told by my buddy that I have a tendency to ride the clutch when parking. I am not sure if this has finally caught up to me and has burned the clutch. Could this be the reason??

This is my first manual car I have owned and since I purchased the car in early June with 42k miles I have stalled the car about 5 times and put 1,000 miles on the car.

The previous owner took great care of the car and never had any problems, I am sad that I have already caused a CEL and potentially a burned clutch or whatever engine problem this may be.

I thank you all in advance for coping with my very limited mechanical knowledge. Your help is very much appreciated.

If you're still new to driving stick and have a tendency to ride the clutch... thats certainly not helping your clutch's lifespan. However that doesn't sound like enough to burn it up totally in 1,000 miles. I guess it depends on your driving. But maybe the original owner lived on a hill or something that caused specific wear on the clutch? I would guess the launching just finished off the clutch.

However the rev overhang isn't anything I'm familiar with. My clutch is a gonner and I don't have that symptom. I just slip anytime I give it a healthy amount of gas. But I'm no expert..

I would say you may have glazed over the flywheel when you launched it. It does seem a little early at 45k miles to need a clutch. Find a local subaru shop to take it for a ride and let you know if you need it.

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg Call directly for your best Whiteline Price! | We also carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

However the rev overhang isn't anything I'm familiar with. My clutch is a gonner and I don't have that symptom. I just slip anytime I give it a health amount of gas. But I'm no expert..

Same thing is my guess. I bet OP does not really know how clutches work on a mechanical level, got a car with a worn clutch and has been giving it more throttle than it could hold since roasting it at launch. Sucks.:redface:

driving to a friends 2 miles away to study and then same symptoms as yesterday and then i hear noise ( kind of like a deep pop) and horrible smell then clutch absolutely dead feeling and wont go into gear. I had it towed to a local shop and they said if it was the clutch it would be 1400 including labor. Yeah I know i shouldnt be paying any more than 1,000 max but I just moved here for grad school and have no real options. Anybody know a good shop in blacksburg, va near Virginia Tech?

Scoobyroo...original owner from texas not too many hills but yeah could be...

mike...should I have the mechanic check the flywheel also? or is it just most likely the clutch?

losangeleslgt...I have absolutely no idea how clutches work on any level to be honest. If you could point me in the right direction of some good articles perhaps that would help me avoid having this problem again in the future. And yeah it sucks...a lot.

Thank you all so much for all of your help.

i also noticed that a lot of people on the forums have had the clutch give out around 60k b/c it is a factory faulty problem if thats the case maybe i should upgrade to a stronger clutch? any suggestions? I most likely wont be doing anything past stage 2 on the car but if I am going to have to replace the clutch anyways I might as well upgrade.

LosangelesLGT i noticed you gave a good review on the exedy stage 1 clutch and if it is going for 400 bux that is 300 dollars cheaper than the oem clutch the mechanic is trying to sell me. Do you recommend I get that clutch kit? If so what flywheel would pair the best for daily driving doesnt need to be too light...

Thank you all for your help!!!!

Archived