LegacyGT.com

Check Engine Light, Emissions

Hey guys, haven't posted in a few months, but now I need your help.

My car failed emissions about 2 months ago and I have until October to get it fixed.

It was originally a Cali car, so it has their specific catalytic converter. I have a hunch that it may be clogged. The car is 2005 and has about 87k miles on it.

It seems the o2 sensors are reading fine, but the 3rd o2 sensor , after the cat, reads up and down. The guy I was with said that, that means the cat is not doing its job, since it should be relatively flat on that last sensor.

Can one confirm that it may be the cat?

And if so, where is a good place to purchase a NON-Cali spec catalytic converter for a decent price?

I'm only familiar with BMW sites and I get the feeling there are a lot more Subaru specific sites out there.

when did the issues start? if you have evidence that you were in epa/federal warranty when they began, you may have an argument there.

we're in pa, but have an older subaru that was ca emissions for some reason. the second cat plugged, and we pulled it and put a straight exhaust on it (first cat still on it). haven't had problems since, and we now have emissions tests here. it passes - had to replace the filler neck for the gas line, but that was a totally separate issue later on.

there's some u-pull yards out there that might be worth looking into. mypartshop.com, etc

You could gut the cat and then install anti-foulers on the rear O2 sensor to trick it. Not exactly legal though...

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Okay so I drive an 05' Outback Legacy Sedan 3.0R, never know which forum to be in, sorry. I work at a dealership and they said it is in fact the catalytic converter, should I replace them, or gut them. I would like to gut them and put straight pipes(increased hp), but it might fail inspection in VA. Any ideas?

Archived