LegacyGT.com

New clutch already slipping??!

Hey guys. Like always, any help on this would be much appreciated. I recently wore my stock clutch out finally. I ended up getting an ACT HDSS clutch and an ACT flywheel installed at my buddy's shop. When I got it back, I didn't drive it hard for at least 350 miles or so. It took about that long for it to get worn-in and the driveablility got much much better over that time. I am now about 700 miles in, and yesterday, it slipped! I was actual using cruise on a 55mph highway, and on an uphill (in 5th gear, low rpm) it slipped.. I then tested it out at different rpm's and speeds, and I was able to make it slip a couple times. Then today, on the way to my buddy's shop, I couldn't make it do it! ?? He and I talked about it for a while, and we can't think of what could be happening. It can't be worn out. There's no oil getting in between the surfaces. I can't think of anything but it being a bad part. Maybe they never seated right, idk.. Of course, we'll have to take it out and see. Probably have to send it to ACT while my baby just sits. :confused:

Is there any pedal adjustment in our cars? It currently has absolutely no pedal play. It engages very quick, almost instantly.

Any info from anyone would be awesome. It's my first subie and I've been learning a lot over this first year of owning it. I've been driving, modding, tuning, etc. imports (mostly Hondas and Nissans) for over 10 years, but I definitely consider myself a subie newbie! Thanks, guys..

these have hydraulic clutches. provided that the pedal allows the master to completely move back and open the vent/fill port with in.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

There is an adjuster rod on the clutch pedal assembly above the gas pedal. I have installed a lot of ACT kits and none of them needed adjustment to work properly. Only adjusted to driver preferences.

Sounds like installation error or defective parts (I haven't ever had a DOA clutch)

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Haha.. I hear ya Frank_ster.. Just a bit ago, on my way home, I drove it down a straight, level road. This is what happenend:

-I started at about 3000rpm in third gear. I floored it, it grabbed perfectly, shifted around redline into 4th, it grabbed, went to maybe 6000rpm, and I let off and went back down to 3rd gear, 3000rpm.

-I repeated the process with the same exact result.

-I did it a third time and it slipped like crazy!

-Finally I did a fourth time and it grabbed perfectly!

WTF??!!!!!!!

Something weird is going on. If a clutch goes, it's gone. It's not gonna go back and forth between acting perfectly and slipping like hell! Ugh..

Keep the ideas and info coming guys! Thanks a ton

Archived