LegacyGT.com

Connecting w/ Tactrix OP2

Dujo

So I got a Tactrix cable and I downloaded the latest ECUFlash, ROMRaider, and Learning View. I believe I installed all of them following the directions, but now I'm having some trouble. I have connected the OP2 to my OBDII port and to the USB port on my laptop and turned the key to the on position, but I can't seem to get any of these pieces of software to recognize the OP2. Any suggestions as to what might be going on or where to look?

Note, if it seems like I have no idea what I'm doing, it's probably because I have no idea what I'm doing. :) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Does the OP2 have to be connected to the OBDII port with the key set in the on position in order to have the laptop be able to recognize it? Or is it possible to plug the USB cable in to both my laptop and the OP2, but not the car and at least have it recognized? (Not that mine seems to be working either way.)

Am I just not doing the right sequence of events or did I get a bad OP2? I get successful messages about drivers being ready when I install ECUFlash, but no matter what I do to try and connect the USB cable to my laptop, I don't get the bong sound and new device message in the lower right icon tray (Windows XP, fyi).

Does the OP2 have to be connected to the OBDII port with the key set in the on position in order to have the laptop be able to recognize it?

Nope.

Or is it possible to plug the USB cable in to both my laptop and the OP2, but not the car and at least have it recognized? (Not that mine seems to be working either way.)

Yup, it should work that way.

Am I just not doing the right sequence of events or did I get a bad OP2? I get successful messages about drivers being ready when I install ECUFlash, but no matter what I do to try and connect the USB cable to my laptop, I don't get the bong sound and new device message in the lower right icon tray (Windows XP, fyi).

Could be a bad OP2. I haven't heard of bad ones but anything's possible.

If you haven't already try putting a FAT32 formatted microSD card in the OP2. I don't see why it would need one for anything but logging to SD, but it's worth a shot.

Try a different USB port and a different USB cable if you haven't already.

Then try reinstalling the drivers. Unplug the OP2, then in this order uninstall EcuFlash, the OP2 driver, and the two OP1.x drivers. All four items should be listed in Add/Remove Programs. Then reboot. Then reinstall EcuFlash and the drivers it includes.

If after that your laptop still doesn't recognize the OP2 try another laptop. Could be something is wrong with yours, either in software or hardware.

I tried reinstalling a couple times last night, but I didn't know to look for the drivers separately to remove them during the uninstall process. Trying that right now. When should I be plugging the OP2 into the laptop? Before or after I install ECUFlash+drivers?

Also, during the installation process of the drivers, I get a message about "The software you are installing has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP. Continuing operation ... blah blah blah ..." Is anybody else seeing this? I had been assuming that it was no big deal, but ...

Well, I can't be 100% sure that it's not me that's doing something consistently wrong, but I have tried connecting the OP2 to two different laptops (WinXP) and two different desktops (WinXP and Win7) with ECUFlash installed and ECUFlash not installed. I tried the supplied USB cable and an alternate USB cable. Unfortunately, I don't have an SD card to try that suggestion of Matt's from above, but I think it's unlikely to resolve the problem regardless. In all cases, it's just like I never even plugged the unit in to the computer. Windows doesn't even seem to recognize that a device has been plugged in to a USB port.

Opened a ticket with Tactrix via email. I presume they aren't working on the weekend, so I'll have to wait until next week before I start worrying about it. Thanks Matt for your suggestions. Gave me a bunch of ideas to try to isolate the problem and rule out some simple fixes. If anyone else has more suggestions, feel free to post 'em up.

Sorry I'm out of suggestions. Opening a support ticket is the right thing to do at this point.

Well I do have one more suggestion, but you probably thought of it already. If you know someone else with an OP2 ask them to plug it into your laptop.

Keep this thread posted, I'd like to know how this turns out.

Thanks for your ideas Matt.

You're right. I did think of it. But I don't know anybody that has an OP2. Anybody near Boston have an OP2 and that is willing to get together and let me plug your OP2 into my laptop and/or plug my OP2 into your laptop?

Well, just got an email regarding my open ticket from Kevin at Tactrix.

"Sorry to hear you're having a problem. Are there any slow flashing LEDs registering on the OP2?" -Kevin

My first response: :lol: It has lights?

Well, I feel a little dumb for not assuming that it had lights of some kind that should register when plugged in, but I'm pleased with the prompt response from Tactrix on this issue. If Tactrix is on Pacific time, that means that Kevin most likely dealt with this first thing after coming in Monday morning. Will keep you all posted as events progress, but it's starting to sound more like I got a bad one.

"We're happy to see if we can repair/replace the unit -as our warranty extends a full year from the date of purchase." - Kevin @ Tactrix.

Will be packaging it up and sending it back this week.

• 3 weeks later...

"I just got done testing your unit and it seems to be defective. I apologize for the inconvenience and we'll have a new unit in the mail to you on Monday. I'm assuming you're still at the same address but just to be safe," ...

Regards,

Mike

Tactrix Inc.

Very good. I even politely asked him to toss a $15.00 OBDII extension cable in the package to make up for my trouble a little bit and he didn't even hesitate.

I was a little frustrated with my experience in receiving a nonfunctional unit, but in the end, Tactrix was right on top of things and made me whole plus a little extra to make up for the hassle. I can understand when issues arise, as long as they make it right, I'll remain a loyal customer. Going above and beyond to rectify the situation means I'll tout you in public. I'm very happy with my experience with Tactrix and would definitely recommend them to others.

Archived