LegacyGT.com

Red WRX Calipers on LGT

Qckslvr

Why havent I seen anyone with the red "subaru" calipers found on some WRX's on their LGT? I see a lot of brembo's but none of the others...is there a compatibility issue or are they not worth the effort??

Not only the thickness but the diameter of the rotors found on the wrx are much smaller than that of the LGT as well. It is a downgrade to put them on.

Mike

That doesn't concen me as much as the fact they won't fit the LGT rotor thickeness, lol. I do run 350Z track rotors(12.5") on my 300ZX (OEM 11" rotors) with my 300 calipers with no issues. Yes, there is some minimal pad overhang, but there are no adverse effects from it.

FTR, I would never even consider WRX rotors and calipers. I would only consider WRX calipers with LGT rotors, if they fit (which they don't).

Could always get the Nissan 30mm calipers and sand off the "Nissan" and put whatever writing you wanted to on them.

Could always get the Nissan 30mm calipers and sand off the "Nissan" and put whatever writing you wanted to on them.

But wouldnt that put you in the exact same position as putting the WRX 30mm calipers on the LGT? Still doesnt resolve the rotor thickness/diameter mismatch...

That doesn't concen me as much as the fact they won't fit the LGT rotor thickeness, lol. I do run 350Z track rotors(12.5") on my 300ZX (OEM 11" rotors) with my 300 calipers with no issues. Yes, there is some minimal pad overhang, but there are no adverse effects from it.

FTR, I would never even consider WRX rotors and calipers. I would only consider WRX calipers with LGT rotors, if they fit (which they don't).

Nissan calipers, while they take the same pads will not bolt onto the knuckles of the Subarus. We tried that back in 1999 and found out it doesn't work quite the way everyone thinks it will.

The LGT rotors will not be cleared by WRX calipers due to the diameter at a minimum, possibly due to the thickness as well.

Heck the LGT rotors are almost the same diameter as an STi rotor (a few mm shy).

If you put a bracket on to move the wrx caliper out, you are essentially re-engineering the whole thing and might as well get an aftermarket BBK.

After many many years of going through itterations of brakes, unless you are all out road racing, there is almost no reason, other than astetics, to upgrade your calipers on an 05-09 LGT.

-mike

Heck the LGT rotors are almost the same diameter as an STi rotor (a few mm shy).

If you put a bracket on to move the wrx caliper out, you are essentially re-engineering the whole thing and might as well get an aftermarket BBK.

After many many years of going through itterations of brakes, unless you are all out road racing, there is almost no reason, other than astetics, to upgrade your calipers on an 05-09 LGT.

-mike

Agreed, wouldn't try it without a bracket anyway. Though using different calipers and rotor combos for a DIY BBK can be a decent option if done correctly. Sounds like you've done a bit of research and test fitting, so I'm preaching to the choir :)

But wouldnt that put you in the exact same position as putting the WRX 30mm calipers on the LGT? Still doesnt resolve the rotor thickness/diameter mismatch...

LGT front rotors are 317x30mm. AFAIK, there are no 30mm WRX calipers. The 2006-2007 WRX front rotors are 294x24mm

Agreed, wouldn't try it without a bracket anyway. Though using different calipers and rotor combos for a DIY BBK can be a decent option if done correctly. Sounds like you've done a bit of research and test fitting, so I'm preaching to the choir :)

Yeah, we bought a bunch of 300zx calipers and spent a bunch of time test fitting etc. Not a fan of bracketed monoblock calipers. When the caliper is directly bolted to the hub I feel it's a bit more solid. Also since we aren't machinists getting the brackets made would have cost more than it was worth.

-mike

Archived