LegacyGT.com

Cruise doesn't work no CEL

I don't know where to look to make my cruise control work. It had a problem I figured would fix it, but it still doesn't work.

Cruise master light comes on, but it won't actually engage.

when I got it the Cruise and CEL were flashing, it had an incorrect tune and a vacuum/boost leak. Both fixed, CEL gone, Cruise master will come on and turn back off with the push of the button, but it the cruise control won't actually work.

I see no boost/vacuum leak (and don't have a CEL)

I would think a bad sensor would also give a CEL

Any help? TIA

also, this is a 2005 Legacy GT Wagon and the ECU thinks it's a 2006 Previous owner said they flashed a 2006 file for more power. Now I'm using a complete flash from a cobb tuner and dyno tuning.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My 2.5i needed a dealer reflash to fix my cruise issue. There was nothing mechanically wrong. The computer required an update that fixed the cruise from turning off on it's own. There's a pretty good chance your car might need it if all the switches test out fine. (Brake pedal switch, etc)

I had horrible problems with my cruise control on my 05. Cruise light would stay on, but would just kick off after about 10 minutes on the highway...problem got consistently worse until it was so frustrating that I stopped using my cruise all together...few months later my Pedal Position sensor went crazy and caused the car to go into limp mode every time I drove the it...dealer wanted over 600$ just for the sensor...and never could tell me why my cruise wasn't working properly :spin:

needless to say Shamar tuned my car for stage 2 and I haven't had a problem with cruise not working or the Pedal Position sensor since...dunno how much help that was but a similar experience as I know how frustrating it is for the cruise to not work properly:mad:

• 3 weeks later...

i am having similar issues with my car. 05 lgt wagon with 102k on about a thousand mile road trip the cruise control stopped working right. at higher speeds mostly (70mph) the cruise will tend to shut off. seams to be related to downhills and sometimes flat stretches. set it to 55mph and it was fine for the most part. no buttons or pedals pressed.

any new info on this or is it time for a dealer reflash?

It's the Neutral switch in the 5MT (If you have a 5eat, or 4eat, I dunno what your deal is)

The switch can have a poor contact and tell the ecu it in N when it's really in gear, cause cruise to cancel. There have been fixes that involve washers and spacers. The flash tells the ecu to wait longer before canceling.

Log Neutral position switch and see if it ever changes when your driving down the road in gear.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I wonder if it's related to the tune, I know SOMETHING isn't right (tune says it's production is 2 years newer than the car actually is)

map is from a newer legacy clearly, either they didn't have the defnitions for your car and didn't want to start the tune from stock map(this is what should be done) -or- they slapped on a map from another one of their customers and catered it to your car, potentially leaving some items unusuable....but....i dont think cruise would be one of them

• I Donated
It's the Neutral switch in the 5MT (If you have a 5eat, or 4eat, I dunno what your deal is)

The switch can have a poor contact and tell the ecu it in N when it's really in gear, cause cruise to cancel. There have been fixes that involve washers and spacers. The flash tells the ecu to wait longer before canceling.

Log Neutral position switch and see if it ever changes when your driving down the road in gear.

Chances are, the switch is actually broken. I had this problem when I first got my car, and spacers didn't fix it. Replacing the switch ($40 part) did, though.

I have a diagnosis. Using cobb tuner, I was checking realtime monitor of gear/clutch/neutral switches.

My neutral switch is backwards, shows neutral when in gear and visa versa, so I kicked on cruise while in neutral, sure enough the engine revved up.

My gear indicator is also wrong.

Now I just need to figure out either a way to tell the computer to run cruise when in neutral, or fix the problem. Anybody know why this would actually be backwards?

Does anybody know why my neutral switch signal would be reversed, and how to fix it? Or how to bypass it?

Searching hasn't found anything of much use other than maybe the 06 had different wiring.

Edit for BMX: Yes, but wrong almost seems like the wrong word. It doesn't change while shifting and then randomly flickers a different gear or 2, almost like it's unplugged/loose/has a short.

Archived