LegacyGT.com

What should i do to my legacy

Hey everyone, just bought my legacy a few months ago and my birthday is around the corner so time for some upgrades.

Car currently has : Rota 18" grids with some 215/40 Yokohomas.

It used to have Cobb lowering springs (1.75" front , 1" rear) but I took them off cause it didn't feel right.

I am wondering which mods I should do first. The car feels very biased to understeer right now ( much more than my A4).

1. JDM RSB or aftermarket one ( 20mm? )

2. Koni yellows (Car has 90k, struts have 50k)

3. This is my main question -- should I keep the cobbs? I think they're too low and raked. I am deciding between using them with a white line bump steer kit, or switching to the pinks. I am sure the cobbs with white line would be pretty awesome.

4. The tires thread says my tire size is unusual. I need to check my rim width, but I am thinking that upgrading to either 225 or 235 with a good brand will help the car feel nicer on the road.

These are the main things I am looking at for the suspension. I am hoping to get away with spending less than 1500 for everything including install. Should be right around there?

I am considering replacing the up pipe because I heard it can blow pieces of the cat into the turbo? Sounds awful.

On a seperate topic, after the Subaru dealer replaced my piston / ringland, car kept smoking. I took it to another dealer who said the first place didn't use any silicone to seal the valve cover gasket. Should I demand a comp test to make sure they didn't "forget" to seal anything else in properly? Pretty sure oil got all over my spark plugs too but I don't know how to check. All I noticed was lots of hesitation starting after oil leak but now its fine after they cleaned up all the oil.

I am also thinking about changing to 5w40 to avoid further problems . Would 5w40 work better because of it's heat threshold? Thank you

tires alone make a world of difference on any vehicle. That being said, strut and springs will make even more of a difference. You can do aftermarket sways first if you don't want to change the struts, it will help with understeer. Going with the koni's and the cobbs should help a lot with body roll as well. Sprig rates are important when wanting to decrease body roll. This also increases traction patch contact to the road, which in turn increases handling. Upgraded struts or strut inserts like the koni's are great in combination with good springs, especially since the stock suspension doesn't do as good as a job as it could.

Yellows will cost you about as much as a set of tires, your money, your decision.

as for 5w40, read the oil thread, it's a never ending debate on whats the best oil to use. Honestly, every engine is different. Some can run mobile1, some can't. I personally can't and swear by rotellaT6 which is 5w40.

I'm not too positive about all of your questions, but I'll give you my opinion on the ones I can.

Springs, I was actually looking at Cobbs first, but I couldn't find any and the raked look that everyone talked about kinda scared me. So, I went with the Swifts. I've heard Swifts drop lower than Cobbs, but I don't know if I'd believe that. I believe Cobb drops 1.75 in front and 1 in rear while Swift does like 1.5 front and 1.2 rear. At least that's what they say. The Swifts are definitely stiffer than stock, and from what I understand, the Cobbs spring rate is pretty close to stock, so the Swifts will probably be stiffer. I think the drop and feel of the Swifts is perfect though. Remember, this is just what I've come across while reading around here for a while, so I could be wrong.

As far as the struts go, I believe mine are still stock and I'm at about 76k miles on my 05. Swifts have been on for *maybe* 2k. I wouldn't do struts unless mine were shot or if I had the money laying around to just do it, which would be nice...

As far as rim/tire info goes, Xenonk has one of the best and most informative threads I've ever seen. Read around there and see if you can find the information you're looking for.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/faq-offsets-sizes-rims-and-tires-gt-xenonk-version-4426.html

The last one for me - the uppipe. If you're all stock, I wouldn't worry about it, especially with the amount of work that's required. I believe in the manuals and google searches and stuff, they said like 4-5 hours of labor to swap uppipes. I know a pro could do it easily, but hey, it's only money. If you go stage 1, I'd probably *consider* swapping it due to the extra heat that would be going through the uppipe. Stage 2 it is almost required, but not quite. One of those mods that should be done but isn't necessary. However, if you don't replace it, you're risking the chance of destroying your turbo. But hey, if that happens, it'll give you a reason to get a bigger turbo. Then once you get the turbo, your fuel pump will wear out so you'll have a reason to get a better one. Along with bigger injectors... And the list goes on, lol.

But ya, with the uppipe, I wouldn't worry too much if you're stock, but I'd probably do it if you decide to run stage 2.

Next thing on my list, after I buy an accessport, is going to be a Whiteline Anti-Lift kit. Supposed to help the feel of the car with steering a lot. Ask m sprank about it if you're interested. He's pretty knowledgeable with almost anything you'd want to install.

Sorry if this rambles on a little much, but that's all I've got for ya.

Archived