LegacyGT.com

1999 Legacy Outback 2.5L EJ25D Exhaust

MarVelo

Hey everybody,

New here, got my '99 Outback a couple months ago and its about time to do some work on it.

Since I have had it, the engine code P0420 has cropped up. It went away after I cleared it for probably 500 miles or more and it has come and gone on its own once or twice. (http://www.obd-codes.com/p0420)

I notice late shifting to 2nd and 3rd (automatic trans). It bumps fairly hard when shifting to the point where its pretty noticeable most the time. It also has a bit of hesitation in low gear.

At idle there is a considerable amount of vibration throughout the cabin. (Changed passenger front trans-axle with OEM and the driver side is original OEM so I know poorly aligned splines are not the issue)

Is it fair to attribute all of these effects to a clogged cat converter? From what I have read here and elsewhere it seems they could all by symptoms of a bad cat.

Now, given that it is a bad cat, is there an easy bolt on pipe I can bypass with? I don't have to worry about emissions tests because I live in Michigan. If not, is it possible to break up and empty out the cat if I take it off, then bolt it back on empty?

Lastly, If I go about working on this exhaust myself, I would like to put on some new headers. I can't seem to pinpoint what headers will or will not fit on this model engine. Will anything labeled an EJ25 fit on direct? Also will it be plausible for me to upbolt/bolt with the car just on a couple floor jacks?

Thanks for the help Subaru fans!

• 4 weeks later...

Being a noob and not getting any response, I answered most of my questions myself.

I installed double Dorman 20009 non-foulers with the first one fully drilled and the second left original. Fixed my P0420 code immediately.

I did a 3 round transmission drain/fill and new filter. The jet black fluid is now gone and topped off with fresh stuff. Differential fluid swaps are my next mission.

The vibration has decreased somewhat and I'm convinced that the somewhat hard shifting is common to all the automatic trans cars as my friend just got an Impreza Outback Sport that feels exactly the same.

I'm still thinking of going with unequal length headers but I'm concerned with the difficulty of getting out the studs that hold up the manifolds. The nuts are stainless and look clean but the threads are so rusted that I can't imagine getting the nut off then back onto them. I'd like to replace them but I cannot find a definitive source for the stud length/diameter. Is it M10 x 1.25mm as on the 2.2 motors? Appreciate response as this is likely something that comes only from experience.

Archived