LegacyGT.com

2.5i Transmission Fluid- Flush or Drain/Fill?

remove the battery, and you'll be able to see it. its attached to the fender wall behind the headlight.

if you are gonna replace it make sure you use the filter from subaru. this filter is not a typical engine oil filter

I should have gone out and looked before posting the question, which I did soon thereafter. It's hard to see but I was able to see the graphics that say 'Subaru' and label it as a tranny filter . Apparently at least one auto parts chain carries these aftermarket but from what fishbone said in another thread they aren't as good quality. My local dealer is closer than PepBoys and has at least one in stock so I'll be making a visit there next week. Now all I have to do is resolve the fluid question and I'll be ready to make the change.

Guest PeteAWD

Good for you. I am staying with the factory Subaru/Indemitsu. I have 170k and have never had any trans problems, and it shifts smoothly. """Subaru's from 2005 on up, especially those with the 5EAT may call for Subaru-Idemitsu HP ATF. There have been reports of shudder and strange shifting patterns especially in the 5EAT's when the wrong ATF type is used. (Generally the odd shifting is caused by different dynamic frictional characteristics; especially if the fluid used has less friction modification than the specified fluid. This fact can make the clutch friction materials in the transmission 'grabby' and cause other issues)."""

Use a product that meets the specs and don't worry about it. I am using the BG Universal Synthetic ATF without any issues. In fact, the transmission works better than it did when new.

Good for you. I am staying with the factory Subaru/Indemitsu. I have 170k and have never had any trans problems, and it shifts smoothly. """Subaru's from 2005 on up, especially those with the 5EAT may call for Subaru-Idemitsu HP ATF. There have been reports of shudder and strange shifting patterns especially in the 5EAT's when the wrong ATF type is used. (Generally the odd shifting is caused by different dynamic frictional characteristics; especially if the fluid used has less friction modification than the specified fluid. This fact can make the clutch friction materials in the transmission 'grabby' and cause other issues)."""

We are generally talking about the 4EAT in this N/A forum. This is an ancient transmission and is not that picky about fluids. The factory fluid wasn't even a full synthetic and from my experience didn't last very long or perform very well. Any universal full synth ATF that is compatible with the transmission (as per the fluid manufacturer specs) should work just as well or better than the overpriced Subaru HP ATF. The dealer that did my BG fluid flush has been using the BG Universal ATF on all of their Subaru's for years without any issues. They didn't even have enough of the Subaru HP fluid on hand to do a flush and would have to order it at significantly higher cost than the BG fluid.

Guest PeteAWD

Ok, my mistake then, I thought I was in the 05'-09' forum. In any event, I believe u. I had BG flush at my private tech, and purchased the dealer fluid at shop rate through my hookup. I rarely use the dealer, although there is 1 tech who knows Subaru's inside out.

We are generally talking about the 4EAT in this N/A forum. This is an ancient transmission and is not that picky about fluids. The factory fluid wasn't even a full synthetic and from my experience didn't last very long or perform very well. Any universal full synth ATF that is compatible with the transmission (as per the fluid manufacturer specs) should work just as well or better than the overpriced Subaru HP ATF. The dealer that did my BG fluid flush has been using the BG Universal ATF on all of their Subaru's for years without any issues. They didn't even have enough of the Subaru HP fluid on hand to do a flush and would have to order it at significantly higher cost than the BG fluid.

Archived