LegacyGT.com

Koni Yellow long term with Eibach / rallitek springs - any feedback?

Craig__w

So, I read a bunch of stuff about Koni Yellow shocks and Eibach springs and haven't found anyone commenting on the longevity of this specific type of setup.

I have a 2005 LGT wagon, which has recently had a set of Eibach progressive rate springs installed. I'm pondering whether to get the Bilsteins and the top hats and then figure out how to drop the ride height again after the Spec B top hats raise the front, or just go straight to a set of adjustable konis.

Does anyone have any, preferably long term, personal experience with either of these two setups

1) 05-06 wagon, Eibach springs and Bilstein HD shocks with spec B top hats.

or

2) 05-06 wagon, Eibach springs and Koni Yellow shocks.

As you probably already know if you're reading this thread, the 05-06 MY don't have the spec B top hats, and I will need to buy these separately, and from what I can tell these will raise the front of the car which will mess with my ride height, which I'm pretty happy with right now.

All thoughts are welcome.

I had a set of Konis/ JDM pink springs with stock top hats and the car handled amazing and was adjustable to how I wanted it and it took the abuse of tracking it before I sold the set up. I never had an issue and if the Konis blow they are replaced for free. The Spec B set up is nice and if it came stock I might be prone to just do springs but since you have the chance go with something that you can use for the life of the car and only buy once.

AZP = Mike right?

Mike, what are your thoughts on the following set up for a 05 MT LGT wagon:

Koni struts

JDM Pinks

(rear spacers to prevent saggy ass? Required?)

STI rear sway bar

??? front sway bar

I'm just looking for competent street fun, 0 tracking involved. I don't care about getting mad low, super stanced outl, or JDM-tyte. I want to limit roll on on-ramps and off-ramps, and just make commuting a little more fun. MA, like NJ, has a shit ton of potholes as well, so I need to retain some comfort. Would the Konis on a lower (maybe lowest) setting be soft enough to deal with grenaded roads?

I really like the lifetime replacement policy, that's huge.

Thanks in advance!

That set up would be great for the commuter who wants some fun. The sway bars are always more to the driver's wants. The STi rear will definitely make things more balanced but depending on how much performance you are looking to get out of the car you might want to look into Whitelines. We had 24mm front and rear and it was a great set up.

To properly match the strut to the spring you will need to stiffen up the strut a little but nothing crazy. You will have a better ride if you find the medium for the whole assembly rather than just dumping it to the lowest setting.

PS Mike is still here but I (Jake) am on all the forums as well. Im a tech in the shop who also does the scheduling etc. Ive driven all Mike's cars on track and on the street.

Koni struts

JDM Pinks

(rear spacers to prevent saggy ass? Required?)

Rear spacers compensate for the front ride height difference when using Bilstein-style top hats w/ struts designed for such top hats, i.e., Bilsteins or Tokicos. You won't need rear spacers because you'll be running the KYB-style stock top hats w/ your Konis. The rated drop for pinks is for Bilstein-style top hats. The pinks will give you more than rated 15 mm (.6 inch) drop in front because they will be paired with the KYB top hats.

I did Koni/Epic's on my 05 Wagon (with 1/4" anti-saggy-butt spacers) and am very happy with the result - except for the creaking from the rear springs. The prevailing opinion is that the creaking comes from the upper coils rubbing together. If you go with this combo, maybe try lightly sanding and painting the rear springs before you install them....? I have no idea what sort of paint to recommend... maybe something "grippy" to help stick the coils together and stop them moving and rubbing.

Alternatively, grease the upper coils really well with some silicone grease before you put the springs on.

Write-up and some photos of the result near the end of this thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/koni-dampers-legacy-35073p28.html

Well I don't have a wagon but I do have Konis/ Rallitek springs on an 05 LGT for about 30K miles driving all over the tri-state. So far no leaks from the struts. Handles great and rides fine compared to cheap coilovers. I only have a JDM sway in the rear. Only complaint is the limited front suspension travel. No fault of the struts/springs. Just inherent to the LGT front suspension design.
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

Archived