LegacyGT.com

How to secure the rear view mirror, damp vibrations

lulzcow

Howdy ya'll. I have a 97 Legacy L wagon, and I have a custom stereo installed...and it is dialed in. For the most part, I keep my bass down low enough to not vibrate the car, but occasionally the more intense bassy songs will rattle my rear view around. I was curious if anyone had an suggestions on how to dampen the vibrations.

I had the same problem in my 98. If you take a look at the spot behind the mirror (where it pivots), you'll see a torx screw that fastens a clamp around the the ball joint on the back of the mirror. If tightening that doesn't work, take it apart to see if the nylon 'cup' is still in good condition. It was in several pieces for my car. My fix was to apply some tape onto the ball joint to provide more friction, keeping the mirror in place. I used a small piece of masking tape. Never had the mirror move on its own again.

well if tightening the actual mirror doesnt work for you; i have a great cheap remedy. in my last car my mirror would vibrate terrible to the point that the image was useless.

A buddy of mine who is a drummer has always had "moon gels" on his drum heads to dampen vibration and control his drums resanance. They cost about 8 bucks at most music shops for a pack of 4, they are bazooka gum sized gel blocks.

Just place one on the top back side of the mirror and it will never vibrate or rattle or anything ever again.

Archived