LegacyGT.com

My Build Log (MS8 Loooove)

drum3rjay28

Well I live by the thought of new technology solves old problems. I am willing to try anything that will accentuate my sound without bringing the noise. Once this is dialed in, I will purchase one for my truck also. Looking forward to the good vibrations.
2010 2.5GT limited is for sale. :)

So, you have this monitor (http://cgi.ebay.com/Alpine-Touch-Screen-BlueTooth-TME-M740BT-/190564436777?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5e868b29)

Which is discontinued if I am not mistaken, and then you fashioned your own nav bezel to cover up the screen edges, buttons, and logo. Any ill effects of covering the buttons or can everything be done on screen?

Also, I have been looking most everywhere for good standalone touchscreen monitors and cannot find anything current. You seem to be much more involved with car audio, so aside from your chosen monitor are there any others that would yield similar results? Everything I am finding is for a headrest setup and do not have a bluetooth option.

Thanks,

C.H.

Hey all, I've been away for my birthday weekend, so I'm back to answer some questions!

@Cholmes: That is the monitor that I have. I can do everything with the monitor on-screen except for power on/off and use the auto-dim feature.

Of course the monitor powers on when I turn my car on because it is wired into ACC power, but if it is excessively hot outside and you do not have a sun reflector, this monitor can go into protect mode unless you turn on the AC for a minute. If that happens, you must press the on button. I have a PAC IR-X (Remote IR extender) attached to the monitor so that in the rare event that this happens, I can power the monitor back on using the remote.

Auto-dim is a joke...I don't know why they just didn't give me an illumination wire so that I could dim the monitor with my headlights!:confused:

Unfortunately, it IS tough to find current models--I think this industry is moving away from that direction because of the lack of "Pimp my Ride" type interest, however there is the Kenwood KOS-L702 and KOS-LZ-6500W, Alpine TME-S370, and then you have various 7" touchscreen offerings for CarPC setups. You should still be able to find a few new ones kicking around as old stock. I'm not too worried about my monitor dying, because I can likely find another monitor from alpine that will work including the S370. (I had Alpine testing this in their factory--it works! :D) You should be able to do the same thing I did with the Kenwood monitors as well, but you'll need to measure to be sure.

In my opinion, the bluetooth in this monitor is good but not spectacular. It is almost compatible with my iPhone 4 (iPhone does not respond to all commands, but streaming and call quality is quite good!) and very usable, but I think that Alpine should have created an add-on plug in unit for the monitor. My visor clip bluetooth wipes the floor with the in-monitor solution and the manual does not make it easy to set this feature up. If you do buy this monitor with a VHub and need help with bluetooth interruption and sound, PLEASE let me know. The manual is trash, so I had to do a lot of the testing myself to figure out how to properly interrupt bluetooth into any audio source. Bottom-line: I have this feature set up, but I would have probably gotten the BT-400 unit separately and accomplished the same or better with less headaches!

Here is my problem, this is a list of all of the extra things that I have laying around.

Jl Audio 13W7 subwoofer

Alpine PDX 600/1 amp

Kenwood DNX 9980 HD radio

Several high end RCA cables

Rockford Fosgate 360.2 processor.

Now the system in my 2011 Ram is very basic, should I let my stereo shop take this odd assortment of things and make it work,or just sell it all?

^ Depends on what you want out of the system; "basic" means different things to different people. It'd suck to sell something and then decide you wish you still had it. I'd say finish your truck's system and get it the way you like it, and then sell your leftovers.
MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

I'm thinking that I will have the Alpine 600/1 run my 13W7, use the Rockford 360.2 to tie in the amp with the factory headunit. Then sell the Kenwood at a really really low price, and use that money to have the sysytem tuned.

@coppertone: I think I would go that route, but I would definitely pocket the money and tune the 3sixty yourself. It is definitely not too difficult and I think you'll be able to achieve something decent because of its flexibility. I am also with Dbl; definitely finish off that project and sell the excess. That is the stage that I'm at right now--I am currently building my FS thread with things that I know for sure I am not using on this project. And that 13w7 is a pounder!!! Don't sell that unless you're looking for less bass!! :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived