LegacyGT.com

Tire advice: Toyota Highlander

Ok...

We are getting our Continental Cross Contact LX replaced with prorate. (down to 3/32 after 38K...65K warranty)

The size we have 225/70/16 102T is discontinued. Merchant Tire is trying to get me to wait till the new LX20 comes out in a couple weeks. Its going to be more $$$ and the size is 225/65/16. I did however find out from Continental they do have my size and style but as 103S. Seems the difference between 102T and 103S is small...but Merchants thinks its a big deal...."handling will suffer...not recommended". Should I just tell them to shut up and get me what I want? I'm not putting the Highlander on the track.

102T = Load 1874lbs. 118Mph

103S = Load 1929lbs. 112Mph

If you have to stick with a Continental brand tire I don't know what to tell you, as I have never liked their truck tires at all and I imagine their SUV tires are also kind of lacking.

Frankly I would put on a set of Michelin LTX M/S2's since they usually provide a good ride, good wet and snow traction, and since they are a real truck tire the rubber compound is hard enough to last a long long time. Like you said you are not tracking the Highlander, and it is not a sporty car anyway so you might as well get a tire under it that fits its personality.

^ great tire, but too much $$$

The car is an '05 and we may only have it one more year. I can get the Conti's out the door for $380 with my prorate credit. They were ok. Like most tires its been since 5/32nd's where I've notice them sucking.

I have two Yokohama Geolander's (051) from a friend of mine. They have about 10K on them. I can get two more and be right around the cost of (4) new Conti's. (Plan B) But not sure these are as good.

One other note...the Highlander is under 3800lbs. So its not really a "truck".

^Need tires now, don't need a new vehicle. +Don't like any new cars within budget enough to plunk down the $$$. Plus its nice not to have a car payment.

BTW....boy did they suck this morning in the rain.

Archived