LegacyGT.com

Spec.B Downpipe Recommendations

Spec.B_8

I use my car as a DD and currently have stock exhaust and turbo. Here’s what I’m looking for in a downpipe:

1. Divorced waste-gate

2. Catless

3. Cast bellmouth

4. 3” is fine I’m looking to get a 3” downpipe to factory exhaust adaptor to connect to stock system.

I’m not sure about the brands but I’ve looked at the Invida, Cobb, DC sport, CNT and I’m sure there’s more.

I like the Invidia and the Cobb so far but the cobb pipe is $600.00!! The problem I have with the Invidia so far is fitment… the infamous site indicates this about the invidia DP: “Diverter Valve will need to be trimmed down before installing to prevent it from hitting the Wastegate”.

What does everyone recommend? I would prefer to have a bolt on setup with no other modifications needed, if possible. Anything helps, Thanks!

Not understanding why anyone would want a catless DP......nasty smell at every stoplight or in traffic , and possible state emissions problems-----all for 2 or 3 extra HP ?

I had the CNT catted installed this spring and I could not be happier. Very well made....zero fitment issues.....stainless.....same function as DP's that cost twice as much.

If I were buying a DP to display in a museum , I would probably buy an Invidia or Cobb 'cuz they're just beautiful to look at. But let's face the facts here. We're talking about waste gases here ! Once it's installed you only see it when your car is on a lift.....

Just my 2 cents. :)

Do it right the first time.........or don't bother doing it at all.

CNT catted FTW.

I have had the Invidia catless. If you want catless and a divorced bellmouth, it is hands down what you want. The divorced bellmouth doesn't seem to have any real life power effects in my experience.

Smell is terrible catless (I have a wagon), so I highly recomment against it since $30-40 more gets you a CNT catted. I have a lower grade CNT from what everyone has reviewed, but mine fit well and I've had zero issues in almost 8k miles. PM "m sprank"/infamous performance for a deal.

Not sure what the point of getting a catted down pipe is since it's essentially the same thing as stock just larger diameter if you go with the 3". I had a catless DP on my STI and smell wasn't bad. Not worried about emissions just once every two years and I can change it when needed.

CNT looks to be a good pipe so thanks for the info! It doesn't have to be a fancy I just want a solid pipe that will last and maximize performance. Any other recommendations?

So far I'm leaning more towards the Invidia catless but not sure I want to mess with trimming the diverter valve... Does anyone know how much the diverter valve needs to be trimmed down on the Invida DP? If not I'll probably go with the CNT catless. Thanks for all the info so far it's appreciated!

Not sure what the point of getting a catted down pipe is since it's essentially the same thing as stock just larger diameter if you go with the 3". I had a catless DP on my STI and smell wasn't bad. Not worried about emissions just once every two years and I can change it when needed.

CNT looks to be a good pipe so thanks for the info! It doesn't have to be a fancy I just want a solid pipe that will last and maximize performance. Any other recommendations?

So far I'm leaning more towards the Invidia catless but not sure I want to mess with trimming the diverter valve... Does anyone know how much the diverter valve needs to be trimmed down on the Invida DP? If not I'll probably go with the CNT catless. Thanks for all the info so far it's appreciated!

No trimming required. They fixed it in version 3 or something. All new pipes have no problem AFAIK. I didn't trim mine and I bought it last year.

CNT catless is a good deal as well.

I don't know what you mean about the catted DP being just like stock only in 3". The catted CNT is a 200 cell metal substrate cat. OEM is something like 400 or so ceramic substrates I believe.

I don't know what you mean about the catted DP being just like stock only in 3". The catted CNT is a 200 cell metal substrate cat. OEM is something like 400 or so ceramic substrates I believe.

Thanks for all your info cause I really would prefer the invidia I really like there products and buying American parts doesn’t hurt either.

I just meant why buy a 1” wider setup if you still have a cat on it, pointless in my opinion. If you want to maximize your horsepower for the money get rid of the cats; unless of course you have emission regularly and don’t know how to change the pipes.

TurboXS. I bought a CNT and resold it (to Compsurge, I think?) The quality was just not up to my standards.

I, personally, think it's kind of foolish to go catless. It's a Subaru Legacy, not a race car. No matter how much you want it to be something different, it's still a family sedan. There is nothing your car will be able to do, that mine won't, with the extra 3-4hp having no cat will get you.

I'd go TurboXS. It keeps under hood temps down, and works fantastic.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

No trimming required. They fixed it in version 3 or something. All new pipes have no problem AFAIK. I didn't trim mine and I bought it last year.

CNT catless is a good deal as well.

That's what people said when I bought my catted Invidia 2 years ago. I slapped in on without trimming in, and the damn thing kept hitting. Ping ping ping! Had to remove and trim in.

Got mine straight from FBP too so the stock shouldn't have been old. It didn't look like the divorcing would hit either based on how far past the mouth it protruded.

edit: Here we go, dug a bit and found the thread with pictures. Bought the DP somewhere around mid-2009.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2622039&postcount=25

See? Doesn't protrude much. Some people have theorized that the WG door hinge varies slightly between VF40s.

Archived