LegacyGT.com

Faulty Display / Clock

Our 2005 Legacy no longer displays the time / temp etc

If I remove the unit I can make it work by flexing it a bit, so must be dodgy connection on PCB somewhere. On Forester models I think it's a poor connection at resistor R51 or 151 (can't remember) which, but can be fixed by careful soldering.

Can anyone advise where to look on the PCB or has a working one for sale

All suggestions appreciated

• I Donated Too
poor solder joints are usually obvious... are you handy with a soldering iron, do you know what to do with it? If so - run the right kind of soldering iron over all the safe components and you'll likely fix the issue just by doing that - just don't hit the IC's with heat if you don't know what you are doing, in fact - if you're not sure what to do... what are you hoping to solve? If you suspect the board is cracked, flexing it and identifying roughly where the board may have a break, you can then solder in jumper cables with nice thin gauge insulated links... don't short components out by using too much solder to touch up the joints... but seriously, if you don't know what you're doing... I'm confused by the question!

Thanks for your reply Sigmafour, but you must have little else to worry about!

The unit does not work, so I can hardly make it worse. There is a known fault at a specific location on the pcb of clocks in the Subaru Forester, I was hoping that someone on this forum would be able to direct me to the best place to start looking.

But if there's no help available I'll just have a go anyway. The worst that can happen is that I need to buy a new one

• I Donated Too
I thought since you can make it work you had a viable repair. If you are careful with the soldering iron you should be able to effect a repair fairly simply. where you 'press' or bend to bring the board to life should narrow down where you concentrate the 'repair' and I know it may not be visible or that clear but what you're talking about must be a physical break so it is sometimes possible to 'see' the bad joint. Simply working everything over is like carpet bombing but has the same effect... I did this recently in an older Alpine Amplifier and it worked perfectly... couldn't see anything wrong but amp was very crackly and intermittent - I knew it was a bad connection 'somewhere' so I went over the lot...

I have a spare info panel if you need one. $70 USD plus a few extra bucks for shipping overseas, and it's yours.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Archived