LegacyGT.com

Need shock/spring recommendations for my XT

DAVES XTOUTBK

My Outback XT currently has 48000 miles and the shocks are not what they used to be. When going over humped railroad crossings the car really bottoms hard on bounce. I want something better than stock but not interested in head jarring stiffness or poor compliance in the snow. What would you guys recommend? Do I need springs too or just shocks first?

Dave

If you want to keep the stock height KYB -GR2s seems to be the only option for struts. The MY 02.5 - 04 are firmer, the 05-09 are more compliant. You can put either on your car.

For springs King seem to be the only complete option, they are expensive though. Rallietech no longer makes their overlord springs.

Here is a link to a bunch of information about the outbacks suspension. http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/81-wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/28368-2005-2009-outback-suspension-faq.html

If you want to go to the Legacy's ride height or below there seem to be a lot of other options.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys! If I want to put the 2002-2004 GR-2s on my 2008 Outback, do I order the Mounting kit and Mounts, and bellows for the 2004 or just the Mounting kit and bellows for the 2008? The mounting kits say 'passenger side'. I can't find one that says 'driver-side'. Here is a link to the page:

[http://justsuspension.com/vaf/product/list/?___store=kyb_outlet&category=%3F&make=14&model=64&year=12465]

I love my Bilstein setup. I'm making slight changes, just to see how I like the differences.

My current setup is with Bilstein HD's, JDM Spec-B wagon springs, and USDM Spec-B top hats.

My new setup will be JDM STI Pink springs, the same struts, the same top hats, additional spacers to regain a little bit of ground clearance, GTWorkx front bump-stops, and an assortment of Whiteline front end bushings to help quiet down some clunking caused by the stock rear LCA bushings and correct the front suspension geometry.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• 4 weeks later...

Just some feedback regarding the recommendations from the link above: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...nsion-faq.html

I have just had the KYB GR-2/Excel-G 2002.5-2004 dampers installed in my 2008 Outback XT at my local dealer. I am not happy with the result currently. The ride now makes me nauseous while driving. I'm not sure what to do. I don't know how I'm going to make passengers comfortable in my car from now on.... When going over bumps or undulations in the road, the suspension has a real short/springy amplitude that really unsettles the stomach. Any ideas????

By the way, car has 51K miles on it and has seen light duty over the last four years.

Dave

Swapped in the New KYB shocks and struts with new mounts. Shop said they had to tap out the part that the springs sit on in the rear and re-use them; not sure what that means. Also, they replaced my front end-links. They described them as a 'ball-socket' type of apparatus and said they were worn and exhibited some play. These are at the end of my front stabilizer bar... That's about it. Also noticed this weekend that when i go over a bump, the whole back of the car kind of 'wags'....like a dog.....

Can you explain this better? What changes did you make exactly?

This is difficult to describe.....When one usually goes over a bump or road irregularity, the shock compresses, rebounds, and maybe slightly compresses again. Let's say this cycle usually takes about 1.5 seconds. Now it feels as if it takes .5 seconds and that the amount of movement on bounce and rebound is much less. This makes everything feel more abrupt. Now, I've had Tokico 5-way adjustable shocks before on my Mustang and on the track I'd switch them up from 2 to 5 for extra stiffness. The ride was harsher but livable. The way things are with the Outback now is not tolerable. I got nauseous again this morning on the way to work. It sucks! IDK????

The only thing you changed was the struts?

Why did you use the older KYB replacement?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

This is difficult to describe.....When one usually goes over a bump or road irregularity, the shock compresses, rebounds, and maybe slightly compresses again. Let's say this cycle usually takes about 1.5 seconds. Now it feels as if it takes .5 seconds and that the amount of movement on bounce and rebound is much less. This makes everything feel more abrupt. Now, I've had Tokico 5-way adjustable shocks before on my Mustang and on the track I'd switch them up from 2 to 5 for extra stiffness. The ride was harsher but livable. The way things are with the Outback now is not tolerable. I got nauseous again this morning on the way to work. It sucks! IDK????

Ah, better description. I just posted in the other forum asking for this kind of detail. Let's move the conversation there since there are more OBXT people. Can you copy this there?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived