LegacyGT.com

Little help please....

airdreams1

Im working on my 99 Subaru legacy GT......

I just finaly pulled my trans pan & cleaned the $#i+ out of it. Fluid was dirty!, but pan gasket wasnt leaking like I thought it was. Must be somewhere else???

It has the check engine code P0743 "torque converter clutch circuit electrical" But Im not sure what else I need to check wile I have the pan off.

The wires all look good, were connected & there were no dents in the pan.

Im not sure what all I need to do to check this out any farther. I dont have a Subaru Shop manual (was told hayns & chilton wont have the info I need), so Im not sure what the shift silinoid looks like, where it is or how to test it properly..

Any help would be appriciated.

Im disabled & dont have a lot of $$$ or Id have just taken it in some where. I do have the tools to do the work & can do most anything (just slower than I could be), but I dont know auto transmitions or auto computers... (Sorry this is my first automatic.)

If anyone here could help me out, Id realy appriciate it.

Wanted to post this in the IDAHO subaru forum (hopeing someone localy might be able to help me out), but I cant seem to find it.:rolleyes:

well follow the leak if you can.. get a can of brake cleaner. clean everything down blow it off with compressed air and then let it run and watch for leak.

for the check engine code .. is it coming back if you clear it ?

that sort of thing would say there is an open circuit or a short.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

i can ,, and over full is not good either.. but why is the oil dirty ! there is probably something wrong with it. easy thing would be to start looking for a spare tranny

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Not sure it seems to shift fine & havent fealt a slip. Though Ive been driving it prety easy.

It does seem to lack much power. Just not sure why? from a stand still the motor would rev quick & & trans will produce power more like it should. But from 30 or so it just wont hit at all.. Just limps along & slowly gains speed. & no the motor wont rev either. :O

to me that seems computer related???

OH & the car has 140K & no idea if or when it was changed.

no...

but under normal driving it will down shift. even with moderat acceleration it will downshift.

but smashing the pedal it wont!

I was told the OBD2 computer will put the car into limp mode so you cant hurt the motor if there is a check engine code.

Archived